Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Changes coaches would like to see

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Disagree. Coaches have to be able to call timeouts
    I disagree with this, respectfully of course being your board and all. This is not biddy basketball and most coaches are screaming and yelling incessantly anyway, can't they just scream and yell some more for their team to call a time out?

Quote Originally Posted by CaribouJim View Post
    So if a guy is being pressed and starts to panic calling a timeout is not an option? That is not what Brey was saying - at least the way I understood it. In any event, that would be a pretty big change to the game - you would think that teams would be pressing a lot more.

Right that's not what Brey was saying, but that is what I would like to see. No other sport can call a timeout during the course of play. Basketball shouldn't be an exception. This is the rule that FIBA uses.

BTW, the FIBA rule is that the coach calls all timeouts, but it is done through the scorers table. They can call a timeout whenever they want, but the table only grants it after a dead ball or a made basket.

I would like the NCAA to give each team 7 timeouts a game and change the automatic time outs to team charged time outs like the NBA. For example, if the home team is going to get charged with the 1st ATO, they could call it with 17:30 left in the half instead of watching the team struggle to the 1st ATO.

Caribou - No problem with disagreeing with me, but coaches call time outs for a lot of reasons....
    1) Fed up with the play of their team
    2) Sees an opportunity and wants to draw up a play to expose it
    3) A player is getting burned and he wants to address it
    4) A players is getting abused and he wants to sub him out immediately

Most common is #1

No problem with that. I coach a lot of grade school hoops. If I had to get my kids' attention to have them call a timeout I would likely never get one.

In a packed stadium with 20,000 people going crazy at the end of a game - you have to allow the coach to call timeouts because too much time would burn off while he is trying to get his team's attention to then have them call a timeout. 10 seconds left - Coach calls a timeout and clock stops at :09. Packed house - ten seconds left - team has the ball and the coach has to get the attention of his players who then call a time out - you might get the ball back with :03 instead of :09. Huge difference.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by mutpm View Post
    I would like the NCAA to give each team 7 timeouts a game and change the automatic time outs to team charged time outs like the NBA. For example, if the home team is going to get charged with the 1st ATO, they could call it with 17:30 left in the half instead of watching the team struggle to the 1st ATO.
    Interesting idea. That would remove coaches trying to ride out a really bad stretch trying to get to the TV timeout.

I'm fine with coaches calling a time out, and I guess I don't really care if a time out is called while someone is dribbling or not.
    Often a coach wants to set up a half court play (and not a press break and then half court play) so they will wait until the ball crosses half court to call the TO to control the spot of the inbounds.

IWB - you post reasons coaches call timeouts. Great. But that doesn't get at the matter of WHEN they should allowed to call timeout. All the reasons you accurately cite can be dealt with at the next dead ball - including after a made basket. As for it being tough in a loud arena, well, isn't that the point of home court advantage? Heck, if we limit timeouts to deadballs or after a made basket, then it seems like the coach should be able to call it.

Finally, you reference your experience coaching grade schoolers. Setting aside the quesiton of when the restraining order was lifted (to Caribou and other humor impared, I kid, I kid) that is totally different. We're talking about changes to college basketball, not 5th grade girls.
    90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

Mayor, if they enacted that time out rule that you and Sultan are proposing what about this situation - is it a live ball when the ref gives you the ball and starts the 5 second count and therefore the player throwing it in play would not be able to call a timeout or is this a separate category?

Mayor - I understand that this is college and not grade school (boys). Either way, the coach is part of the game. Why take him out of the game? Pretty much all a coach can do during a game is call a timeout. Assistants can't, but head coaches can. That is a huge part of coaching. I don't understand what the benefit of eliminating this would be.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by CaribouJim View Post
    Mayor, if they enacted that time out rule that you and Sultan are proposing what about this situation - is it a live ball when the ref gives you the ball and starts the 5 second count and therefore the player throwing it in play would not be able to call a timeout or is this a separate category?
    Correct, that is a live ball so no time out.

In just watching Buzz coach in the past few years, he liked to have his players advance the ball to half court before calling a time out, so as to set up a half court play, not a full court play. If you are no longer able to do that, or call a time out if you can't get the ball in bounds, my guess is we would see a lot more full court pressing defenses in basketball.

I guess I don't get why fans don't like coaches calling a time out. Often in late game situations a coach will say to a ref, if he makes this free throw I am going to call a time out. I guess now, the coach would need to instruct his players - hey, if you make this free throw quick call a time out before they can get it in bounds.

The college game is too choppy right now, with coaches way too controlling. There are far too many breaks in the action, and the last 5 minutes last an eternity. Limiting timeouts to deadballs or after a made basket keeps the game moving. Plus, it has the added advantage of not bailing out a player who gets trapped. No other sport allows you to call a timeout to prevent something from happening that is part of the game. Football doesn't allow the QB to call a timeout when he's about to be sacked. Baseball doesn't allow it when the pitcher realizes he's just sent a fastball down the middle.

If we limit it to the times Hizzonner suggests, then it doesn't matter if the coach or players call it. Heck, I don't see a problem with a coach saying "if they make this basket, we're calling a timeout."
    90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast