Thread: Untucked on ESPNU Tonight (6/16) @ 10 PM EST

Untucked on ESPNU Tonight (6/16) @ 10 PM EST

Just FYI if you've never seen it or want to record it.

I just watched it again last night on line - here is the Link if you can't DVR it. My nephew is the kid in the last scene with Bo. He had the #15 baby blue untucked version on and Bo asked him "why aren't you wearing #31??".

http://espn.go.com/video/clip?id=10538699

I like how the NCAA basically felt that MU had an unfair recruiting advantage because of the coolness factor of their unis. I'd like MU to get back to that change of unis every other year for that reason to restart that legacy, but I'm sure Wojo has more to worry about right now. Maybe next year? I hope!!

I think Wojo and staff should e-mail the link for this video to every recruit if, for no other reason, to communicate the type of unique history/tradition the program entails.

I don't think the younger posters on this site can truly understand how unique, how special, that era was the same we old farts who lived it appreciate it. But this video gives at least a semblance of the mystique the program possessed at the time.

UCLA was still Top Dog in the70s, but MU was #2, and there could not have been two more opposite types of programs in terms of image (except for maybe MU and Kentucky). What a magical time.

Great job by the creators/producers of this video.

For the older generation...why didn't other teams adopt the strategy that Marquette did...in terms of new uniforms, designing their own, etc.

They didn't have a flamboyant, idiosyncratic rebel for a coach. Al recruited players who had their own unique personalities - guys like Bo and Lloyd Walton and Lucas and Brell.

I remember once after Walton and Al got in a shouting match during a game, a reporter asked him about it, and Al said something like, "That's what I want him to do. That's why I recruited him. I want the Lloyd Walton who is going to shout back at me."

Another time, Al criticized a shot Walton had taken. Walton got pissed off, and in the next game he did not take a single shot. Al was asked if that bothered him, and he said, "No. That's just Lloyd being Lloyd."

Brell was probably the flakiest of all Al's recruits. But that didn't bother Al one bit.

As the video explained, Al allowed his players to be themselves, yet on the court, MU was the most disciplined team in the country. It was amazing.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Warrior View Post
    As the video explained, Al allowed his players to be themselves, yet on the court, MU was the most disciplined team in the country. It was amazing.
    That was so true - you would have thought the opposite, but on court they were ultra disciplined with the exception of Bernard Toone's brain farts at times.

I think it was Sports Illustrated that did an article about the '76 NCAA game vs. IU that highlighted the differences between the two teams and programs - the uniforms of course for one, but how different the players acted off court before games - MU much more relaxed and playful and IU very straight laced with MU guys wearing more colorful garb and IU again very conservatively dressed. Both coaches were hotheads, but Al much, much less controlling.

Shame that game was before seeding - should have been for the final as they were #1 and #2 pretty much the whole season. All 10 starters went on the play in the NBA for at least one season.