Thread: OT Tony Gwynn

OT Tony Gwynn

I have been in a daze ever since I heard the news that Tony Gwynn passed away today at the age of 54 due to cancer. Tony was a player who had a unique bond to his team (Cal Ripken and to some extent Robin Yount come to mind as the only other players who would be in this particular realm) as he basically grew up in front of the citizens of San Diego. First as a great college point guard (he was originally recruited to play basketball and still holds the Aztecs record for career assists) and baseball player at San Diego State and then a 20 year career as a Padre turning down opportunities to make considerably more as a free agent in other markets before becoming retiring as a player and becoming head baseball coach at San Diego State and ultimately entering the HOF on the first ballot.

I had the incredible experience of sitting next to tony on a flight from Las Vegas to San Diego. Frankly, I was in awe but he was incredibly accessible and introduced himself, without any guile, as simply, “Tony.” It wouldn’t be long before I saw his trademark smile and heard his infectious laugh. You would think the man would dread the proverbial “airplane conversation” and I certainly didn’t want to intrude but it wasn’t long before, after finding out that I went to Marquette, that we began a discussion. Indeed, our conversation would not be about baseball. No, instead, my mention of Marquette started a conversation about college basketball. He was also kind enough to provide me with an autograph for my young cousin who as a young boy like so many in San Diego who played baseball, idolized Tony to the point where two of his earliest words were Tony and Gwynn.

So many people will share tributes far more eloquent than anything I can say but I will say a part of my heart broke today and I’m not ashamed to admit I shed a tear (ok more than one) at the news of Tony’s death. Perhaps the best tribute I saw, beyond the amazing stats that made him a Hall of Famer, was from writer Mark Kreidler who said, “The nicest thing I can say about Tony is that every story told of his kindness understates the truth by half. Pure good.” RIP 19 I'm sure he's knocking it through the 5.5 hole up in heaven as I write this.

Thanks for sharing.

Not many people know that he attended SDSU on a basketball scholarship and only joined the baseball team in his second year on campus when the team was seeking out some bodies due to injuries. When he left SDSU, he was their all time assist leader.

That's a great story. Usually, celebrity/athlete deaths don't really affect me. I was pretty bummed to hear of Tony's passing today. One of the greats, that's for sure.

Very sad to hear of Gwynn's passing. Great story Mulligan.

What a great hitter he was, a pleasure to watch swing the bat.

He was one of those type of players, and there are few, that when he and the Padres came to Milw I made sure to get out and see him play.

I recall when the Padres were in Milwaukee during his last season. I was at the game with my then six year old son. Even when young, I liked to take them to games so they could say they saw a certain player live, and Gwynn was one of those guys.

Gwynn came in to pinch hit and got a double. Not often fans stand to cheer an opposing player get a double.
    I remember saying to my son that he might not appreciate it now, but you just saw one of the great hitters of all time get that double.

I know a former beat writer for a few MLB teams and he thought Tony was one of the nicest guys he dealt with and he told me that years ago when he was still playing.

MLB needs to ban chewing tobacco. Can't smoke, why can they chew? Buzz Williams--this means you, too.

Don't see much point in banning it, as people cannot get cancer from second-hand tobacco juice, but MLB has tried to de-emphasize it. It has been a part of baseball culture for a long time. Some pitchers used it for spitballs. A bubble gum manufacturer some years ago tried to sell shredded bubble gum as "Big League Chew." I have never taken to it myself, and found the need to keep spitting all the time really gross, but it has its attractions, I guess. I lost any interest when I saw a picture of a young and handsome athlete who had lost his entire lower jaw.

No point in lecturing people, because that never does any good anyway, but I hope people stay away from the stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by unclejohn View Post
    Don't see much point in banning it, as people cannot get cancer from second-hand tobacco juice, but MLB has tried to de-emphasize it. It has been a part of baseball culture for a long time. Some pitchers used it for spitballs. A bubble gum manufacturer some years ago tried to sell shredded bubble gum as "Big League Chew." I have never taken to it myself, and found the need to keep spitting all the time really gross, but it has its attractions, I guess. I lost any interest when I saw a picture of a young and handsome athlete who had lost his entire lower jaw.

No point in lecturing people, because that never does any good anyway, but I hope people stay away from the stuff.
    Actually, as I understand it, MLB has banned it in the minor leagues where they don't have to worry about the player's union.