Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast

Thread: OT World Cup Thread

If the play I saw today is indicative, Germany and Portugal will advance, without much competition. They both play a level above the US and Ghana.

VS

Quote Originally Posted by ValiantSailor View Post
    If the play I saw today is indicative, Germany and Portugal will advance, without much competition. They both play a level above the US and Ghana.

VS
    I think Portugal horribly struggles with the pace of both the U.S. and Ghana, and may leave Brazil with zero points. The one knock on the current U.S. line-up is the lack of playmaking in the midfield, but against Portugal I think the U.S. can counter them to death and get many chances to convert that way. I do feel awful for Jozy though, as a horrible club year at a messed up club and now likely being done for the World Cup after 20 minutes. I expect Johannsson to be much better on Sunday, but still would prefer a healthy Jozy that had just rediscovered his mojo again.
    #BringShakaHome

USA plays Portugal in Manaus. The pitch is basically a sandbox with some grass painted on. It will play slow, and with no Pepe, no Coentrao, and maybe no Almeida, Portugal is beatable. They are probably the most overrated team in the world. Ronaldo is great, but the rest of them are average. A draw would likely see us through. I like our odds, especially since I felt more confident of beating Portugal than I did Ghana before the Cup started.

We can still get through to the next round even if we lose our next two games as long as Germany pounds Ghana, Ghana beats Portugal and the US loses both of their games by close margins.

Bottom line is we need to take care of business and at least get a draw against Portugal, which I think is very doable as Portugal is overrated. Losing Jozy hurts as he was very good at keeping possession and creating scoring chances.

I love watching these reactions on youtube:

Who are the aholes that refuse to stand?

Marquette guy in this one.

I can't see Portugal advancing. Too much goal differential for them to pick up. The US will play cautiously Sunday, playing not to lose. If they draw, that is easily good enough. Germany should beat or at least draw Ghana. That leads to a final game between the US and Germany, where neither has any incentive to take risks. Ninety minutes of playing keep away.

Quote Originally Posted by unclejohn View Post
    I can't see Portugal advancing. Too much goal differential for them to pick up. The US will play cautiously Sunday, playing not to lose. If they draw, that is easily good enough. Germany should beat or at least draw Ghana. That leads to a final game between the US and Germany, where neither has any incentive to take risks. Ninety minutes of playing keep away.
    This.
    "I'll say it again...Dwyane Wade is the 3rd best SG of all-time...right behind Jordan and Bryant." - Mark Jackson

I hope we don't play not to lose. If we do we will probably lose. Portugal is without two starting defenders. We need to take it to them, go for a smash-and-grab again. Get an early goal and watch them cave. Let Jermaine Jones physical the hell out of Ronaldo and grind him into the Manaus sand. Get them playing like a one-man team and they will be beat. Thankfully, every time Nani botches another effort it becomes that much easier to get them to the one-dimensional mentality that got them here. I think we can beat them and if we play aggressive, frankly, we should. They may have the edge in individual talent, but I have no doubt we are a better team.

Not at all surprised with Chile beating Spain and subsequently eliminating them from the World Cup. I did not think much of the chances for the European powers, particularly in a South American World Cup that featured a host of strong South American squads (plus a surging U.S. squad and other solid teams like Ivory Coast and Algeria). I picked Chile to win the group, but did take Spain second over the Dutch.

Along these lines, I would not be surprised if a solid, strongly disciplined Costa Rica side gets a result against Italy and even wins outright. A result there could set up three CONCACAF sides making it to the knockout round.
    #BringShakaHome

Page 5 of 14 FirstFirst ... 34567 ... LastLast