Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast

Thread: OT World Cup Thread

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Only once...Spain in South Africa.

Of course....the last World Cup, should have remembered that.

There have been seven World Cups in the Americas...South American teams have won all of them. (With European teams losing in the final games in the last five.)

There have been ten in Europe...European teams have won nine, with Brazil winning in Sweden the only exception. (Only one other South African team has even gotten to the final game when played in Europe - Argentina lost to West Germany in Italy in 1990.)

Brazil won in Asia. Spain won in Africa.

The Ticos proved to be quite formidable, and I would enjoy if Uruguay rebounds and both England and Italy get knocked out in the group stage.
    #BringShakaHome

I'm too old to enjoy soccer of any kind

Why is ESPN twisting Jurgen's words? He states that it's not realistic for the US to win the World Cup. There is nothing false about that. He also states that if they get out of the group, then anything can happen. So, they are taking it one step at a time and concentrating on Ghana. Why is everyone making him out to be anti-American? When I coach my team and we are clearly underdogs, I tell them,"We are not expected to win, but all the pressure is on them, not us. Anything can happen." That is what Klins is telling them. Once again, the media is creating this story to create controversy and more of an audience. Fake outrage...

Yep. On the news this morning they said "he's being criticized for not being optimistic." What? Is he supposed to blow smoke up everyone's butt?

Quote Originally Posted by Mucrisco View Post
    Why is ESPN twisting Jurgen's words? He states that it's not realistic for the US to win the World Cup. There is nothing false about that. He also states that if they get out of the group, then anything can happen. So, they are taking it one step at a time and concentrating on Ghana. Why is everyone making him out to be anti-American? When I coach my team and we are clearly underdogs, I tell them,"We are not expected to win, but all the pressure is on them, not us. Anything can happen." That is what Klins is telling them. Once again, the media is creating this story to create controversy and more of an audience. Fake outrage...
    So which is it? Either "it's not realistic for the US to win the whole thing" or "anything can happen when they advance past the group stage?" There's a complete disconnect between the two statements - he's talking out of both sides of his mouth.

As far as what you are telling your kids - I have no problem with that, completely fine. However, what you are telling your kids "we are underdogs and not expected to win, all the pressure is on them, etc" is far different than "it's unrealistic to think we can win." If my coach were to tell me "it was unrealistic for us to win," I would turn to my teammates and say why are we even here?

I don't see it as an either/or. He is saying IF they get out of the group, then they have beaten the top teams, so they can beat anybody. Look at the Vegas odds. The US is a longshot to win it. So, why set your sights on winning the whole thing? Instead, take a look at the game in front of you. If you listen to his comments, that is what he says. They do not feel they are the underdogs to Ghana. They will take it to them. Hopefully they get the results and they will take it from there.

So, if his team is pissed off at him for saying they won't win the World Cup, why are they even looking that far ahead? I wouldn't want them to do that. That's how many of the favorites bow out early. They put pressure on themselves to win the whole thing and they lose sight of the game in front of you.

Germany 4-0 Portugal. Huge result for the US. Pepe sent off, Coentrao and Almeida injured, Ronaldo forced to play the full 90. If they can beat Ghana, advancing from this group is a real possibility.

IF they beat Ghana...
    The artist formerly known as "the sitting MU coach for president"

Page 4 of 14 FirstFirst ... 23456 ... LastLast