Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast

Thread: OT World Cup Thread

I am surprised. I thought soccer was big among the black community, and rugby was considered mostly a white sport. I did see the movie, and understand how Mandela tried to make Rugby the sport for everyone, and it is now not a disgrace for a black person to wear a Springbok jersey, but I thought soccer was more popular for much the same reason it has caught on around the world - it is easy and cheap to play. Maybe they just like blowing those damn horns.

Hey, how about the Liberty Boys! An outline of the statue, or just the top part, or just the torch, on the uniforms. Now that would be cool!

Haha those horns are ridiculous... And they did put on a good show for the 2010 World Cup, the stadiums are beautiful as I have seen many first hand. That said there was a rise in interest leading up to the World Cup again because they were hosting it, however much of what you said is correct that historically it was blacks for soccer and whites for Rugby, but it's shifted over time to something for all. Now I'd hardly say Soccer isn't popular, but Rugby is very big over there, I'm sure the fact that they are one of the worlds best teams helps. I've found the South African culture really fascinating, however thats another story for another day.
    The artist formerly known as "the sitting MU coach for president"

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan4life View Post
    So who made the most money from that first match: Neymar, the Japanese ref, or the Croatian goalie Pletikosa? Croatia gave quite the effort playing 13 on 10 there.
    I am DVR delay, but that was one of the worst flops I have seen. That's part of what gives soccer a bad name.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucrisco View Post
    I am DVR delay, but that was one of the worst flops I have seen. That's part of what gives soccer a bad name.
    I've become a close follower of the EPL, so I am used to the diving. I will say that most English refs laugh off a flop like that and sometimes give out a yellow card for simulation.
    #BringShakaHome

Yeah. Should be a yellow.

I'll go Brazil over Spain. Argentina and Germany make semis. USA only musters 1 point in group play.

Big East refs...no doubt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mucrisco View Post
    The only way to eliminate flopping is to review the tapes after the games and start suspending the players (minimum of one game and increasing thereafter based on the player's theatrical history). That BS play literally cost Croatia the game (and the horrible goaltender)

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorNich View Post
    I'll go Brazil over Spain. Argentina and Germany make semis. USA only musters 1 point in group play.
    Hope you're right. That is what I have in my company's pool. Winner gets 250 euros.
    "I'll say it again...Dwyane Wade is the 3rd best SG of all-time...right behind Jordan and Bryant." - Mark Jackson

That Dutch goal was certainly something.

Page 2 of 14 FirstFirst 123412 ... LastLast