Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast

Thread: OT World Cup Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mucrisco View Post
    Hey Nukem, I like you but knock it off. There have been 7 active threads on this board between yesterday and today. None of them directly involve Marquette basketball. One involves the Brewers. One involved the Bucks. One has no responses and is about an athlete's Bill of Rights. Yet you choose to whine and whine about a Soccer thread that is 11 pages long. How can you claim there is limited interest when it's the longest most active thread, currently on the board. How is it cluttering the board when there are no other topics to discuss that directly involve Marquette basketball? Cut it out.
    OK........but, no more soccer after this Cup is over. Please observe and use the OT board until the next soccer World Cup....

Man, I'm exhausted. What a game. I don't think Cameron, Bedoya, and especially Zusi did us any favors out there. Yedlin proved he belonged. That was a great run and finish from Green. That's all you need from a guy like that. One touch can change the game. Brooks did well when he was out there. I would have liked to have seen Mix out there instead of Zusi. Wondo was invisible. Howard is a beast.

I BELIEVE THAT WE JUST LOST!

But it was a lot of fun. The best part for me was hanging out at the bar down the block. They had all the games on, and most of them on a theater sized big screen. It was fun cheering along with people I had never met. I can certainly see how the World Cup can be a national unifier. So I will watch the rest of the tournament, then it is back into my shell for another four years, or at least until qualifying starts again. But I did learn a lot and gained an appreciation for the game.

Soccer and basketball are the world's 2 most popular sports. Outside the USA, soccer is the clear-cut #1. The 2010 and 2014 World Cup, with the USA advancing to the Round of 16 and having every match covered by ESPN has helped the cause in America. I am glad Klinsmann is signed through the 2018 World Cup. He instills confidence in the players and it showed playing in the toughest group of the 8 groups. USA needs to develop and get a little lucky with 2 or 3 naturally gifted players that can create offensively. Also, USA was hit hard by injuries. Altidore only playing 20 minutes this World Cup was a tough break. Progress was made and good signs from young players such as Yedlin and Green.

Quote Originally Posted by unclejohn View Post
    I BELIEVE THAT WE JUST LOST!

But it was a lot of fun. The best part for me was hanging out at the bar down the block. They had all the games on, and most of them on a theater sized big screen. It was fun cheering along with people I had never met. I can certainly see how the World Cup can be a national unifier. So I will watch the rest of the tournament, then it is back into my shell for another four years, or at least until qualifying starts again. But I did learn a lot and gained an appreciation for the game.
    As much fun and drama as the World Cup and international competitions provide, I think football in best enjoyed at the club level. Much more cohesiveness and fluid play, and just as much drama with the rivalries and the excitement when the have-nots beat the haves. If you have the time, it is well worth it to invest it watching the EPL/La Liga/top European leagues and Champions League action. The EPL is especially easy to follow with NBC Sports's phenomenal coverage of it, plus it has easily the best depth and competitiveness top to bottom of any European league.
    #BringShakaHome

So... how's everyone feeling this morning?

I can't stop thinking about Wondo's miss. This isn't healthy.

That was a heck of a play and, yes, opportunity wasted. The US missed some golden opportunities and I felt bad for Howard, as he was phenomenal. Tough one to lose, as they could have stolen it. They need to improve their ball handling and attacking, though, as they were struggling most of the game. Down 2-Nil, they were dominating and fun to watch.

Quote Originally Posted by MUfan12 View Post
    So... how's everyone feeling this morning?

I can't stop thinking about Wondo's miss. This isn't healthy.
    Yes Wondo's miss hurts, but realistically if Tim Howard wasn't playing out of this world the US would have been down at least 3-0 at that point, Belgium had several misses themselves so if you play the what if game I'm not so certain it would work out well...
    The artist formerly known as "the sitting MU coach for president"

Quote Originally Posted by MKE_GoldenEagleFan View Post
    Yes Wondo's miss hurts, but realistically if Tim Howard wasn't playing out of this world the US would have been down at least 3-0 at that point, Belgium had several misses themselves so if you play the what if game I'm not so certain it would work out well...
    No doubt. But even with all of that, the ball falls to our alleged poacher's feet. 5 yards out, 30 seconds remaining. A tap in. ARRGH.

Almost looked like Wondo was not ready. Leaning back, skies it over the top. Needs to be on his toes, head down and drill it! Easier said than done.

Page 12 of 14 FirstFirst ... 21011121314 LastLast