Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: OT World Cup Thread

Quote Originally Posted by Mucrisco View Post
    The World Cup is getting huge ratings this year in the US. The US has bought more tickets than any other country besides Brazil. There is a greater amount of interest in the World Cup this year than even four years ago. Last Sunday, they had to shut down Brady St because people were overflowing out of the bars because they wanted to be there for the game. The older generation is still has that,"I hate soccer attitude," but for the younger crowd, most everyone I know is following it. Soccer has caught on in this country. I am fine with that fever only happening every four years, but that's part of what makes the World Cup special.

It's not just the WC. A lot of 20 some year olds watch the EPL on Saturdays and Sundays as well.

And they don't see anything strange about watching soccer, football, baseball, basketball, etc. It's just one of the sports they like. It's not an either/or scenario.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    Well,as suggested very early in this thread, this subject could move to IWBs OT board.
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who logs directly to the MU boards here, and there's a big "OT" in the title

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    I'm sure I'm not the only one who logs directly to the MU boards here, and there's a big "OT" in the title
    I am not a soccer fan, but I am fine having this thread on the board. As evidenced by this thread, many MU fans are also soccer fans, so by putting it on the MU section people see it and comment on it too. In reality most of us really just look at the MU threads, so if putting it in with the MU hoops it gets more attention, ok. Now if there were 20 different threads about soccer I could see it being an issue.

The heading is OT - World Cup so as a non soccer fan I don't have to read it. I have just because I like to get the perspective of those that follow soccer as I don't. World Cup is a cool event. Easy enough for me to look at the thread title and decide to read it or not.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    Just click on BCB home. How do you like the Heldt commit as we try to talk BB on a BB board.

If U.S. can win today, and that's a big if, then Argentina is certainly beatable. The Argentines seem to be missing that playmaking midfielder to set up their attackers (Di Maria is playing more advanced role for Argentines then he does for Real Madrid). The Swiss needed to capitalize on one of their earlier opportunities, and it would be key for the U.S. to nip an early goal or two.

Definitely first things first with a supremely talented Belgium team today (that hopefully continues their struggles in meshing as a team), but this is not an impossible road to conquer.
    #BringShakaHome

"Klinsmann also confirmed that Alejandro Bedoya and Graham Zusi will be among the starters.The Americans try to reach the World Cup quarterfinals for the first time since 2002 when they face Belgium in the knockout round."

Looks like we won't have Mix among the starters. Probably Dempsey up top in a 4-5-1 again.

Just click on BCB home. How do you like the Heldt commit as we try to talk BB on a BB board.
    Hmmm...the OT thread on the Bucks and Kidd was moved off this board today. Suspect a 6 page OT soccer thread (to date) could be moved as well. At least the Bucks thread was on BB. I get that a few of you enjoy soccer, but this is of very limited interest to many of us and this OT just clutters the top of the board.

Wow, no Beckerman in the lineup. Cameron is in the midfield and they are playing a 4-3-3 with Bedoya and Zusi up top with Dempsey. It will probably more resemble a 4-5-1.

I've actually liked Cameron in a defensive midfield role, and not a bad idea to get fresh legs in the line-up. I would like to see Mix and Johannsson if a goal is needed in the second half. Cannot risk Jozy as a sub, and he either had to start or wait until the next game.
    #BringShakaHome

Hmmm...the OT thread on the Bucks and Kidd was moved off this board today. Suspect a 6 page OT soccer thread (to date) could be moved as well. At least the Bucks thread was on BB. I get that a few of you enjoy soccer, but this is of very limited interest to many of us and this OT just clutters the top of the board.
    Hey Nukem, I like you but knock it off. There have been 7 active threads on this board between yesterday and today. None of them directly involve Marquette basketball. One involves the Brewers. One involved the Bucks. One has no responses and is about an athlete's Bill of Rights. Yet you choose to whine and whine about a Soccer thread that is 11 pages long. How can you claim there is limited interest when it's the longest most active thread, currently on the board. How is it cluttering the board when there are no other topics to discuss that directly involve Marquette basketball? Cut it out.

Page 11 of 14 FirstFirst ... 910111213 ... LastLast