Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast

Thread: OT World Cup Thread

OT World Cup Thread

It's finally here. Any predictions out there? I say US gets out of the group. Germany to win it. After the US, I'll be rooting for Spain.

I have Argentina doing the unexpected and knocking off Brazil in the Finals. At some point I think the Messi/Aguero generation wins one, and it will come at the expense of Brazil. I am very bullish on the U.S., predicting the good guys to both win the group (think both Germany and Portugal are vulnerable to due to injuries/fatigue from club play) and then make a run to the Semis after beating Algeria in the round of 16 and Bosnia in the quarters. I think it will be a poor showing for the European contingent in South America.
    #BringShakaHome

Pumped!! I'll say Germany wins it (I'm biased though). If not them then Argentina. I think Belgium and Japan make a little noise as well. I'll say USA will beat Ghana but not get out of its group.
    A) Brazil, Croatia
    B) Spain, Netherlands
    C) Japan, Greece
    D) Italy, Costa Rica
    E) France, Honduras
    F) Argentina, BH
    G) ZEE GERMANS, Portugal
    H) Belgium, Algeria
    Last edited by WindyCityGoldenEagle; 06-12-2014 at 03:03 PM.

Ghana or Nigeria to surprise.

But hey, what really pisses me off is why doesn't the US have a team nickname? I mean everybody else seems to. Some are pretty lame, but others are incredibly cool, like Belgium's Red Devils, Tunisia's Carthage Lions, or South Africa's Bfanna Bfanna. OK, Eagles are spoken for. Nigeria has the Super Eagles, and somebody else has just generic Eagles. Flags are popular, with Ghana's Black Stars, Mexico's Tri Colores, and a few others I am forgetting. So if we can't come up with an animal (how about some indigenous lizard or something?) why not just the Stars and Stripes? England does OK with the Three Lions from their uniform crest, even if they always underperform, and Australia has two of them! The men are the Socceroos (which I kind of like) and the women are the Matildas (which I really liked when they posed for that nude calendar.)

Why can't we come up with something? Hell, even the Arrogant Imperialists who Everybody Hates would give us an identity.

I was in Jamaica about 12 years ago when their team was doing well. They were the Reggae Boyz. That was a cool name and the Jamaicans were totally pumped.

Yeah, boys are popular. Reggae Boyz, Socca Boys (Trinidad) Tico Boys (Costa Rica) and I understand Bfanna just means boys. They seem particularly popular in North America. So how about the Not-There-Yet-But-Improving Boys? Or we could name them after Congress and call them the Dysfunctional Boys. Or after the NSA and call them the All Knowing Boys. Hey, this is a big country full of clever and creative people. I am sure someone can come up with something good.

Ive always heard their nickname as the Yankees.

So who made the most money from that first match: Neymar, the Japanese ref, or the Croatian goalie Pletikosa? Croatia gave quite the effort playing 13 on 10 there.
    #BringShakaHome

Quote Originally Posted by unclejohn View Post
    Yeah, boys are popular. Reggae Boyz, Socca Boys (Trinidad) Tico Boys (Costa Rica) and I understand Bfanna just means boys. They seem particularly popular in North America. So how about the Not-There-Yet-But-Improving Boys? Or we could name them after Congress and call them the Dysfunctional Boys. Or after the NSA and call them the All Knowing Boys. Hey, this is a big country full of clever and creative people. I am sure someone can come up with something good.
    Yeah Bafana in literal translation is go boys... Having a wife from South Africa mean I pick up some Zulu here and there... Surprisingly though Soccer isn't as big in South Africa as I thought it would be, Rugby FAR exceeds in popularity, that said their soccer team isn't all that great so there is that.
    The artist formerly known as "the sitting MU coach for president"

Page 1 of 14 12311 ... LastLast