Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: ESPN Shoddy Journalism

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    Paint Touches does a nice job of taking this apart.
    http://painttouches.com/2014/05/27/i...-have-editors/
    Agree but what is with the Philadelphia stuff?

Let’s take this a sentence at a time.

“I grew up in Milwaukee.” – Good start, making him an authority on the subject.

Everyone in the area recognizes Marquette as a school with high academic standards and an occasionally impressive basketball program” – Who is this everyone? Most people in Philadelphia, my residence, have no idea if MU is good academically or not and simply know it as that school Dwyane Wade went to that plays Villanova every year. Nationally, the basketball reputation outweighs the academic.

Everyone in the area means the Milwaukee area, not Philadelphia.

Quote Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
    Agree but what is with the Philadelphia stuff?

Let’s take this a sentence at a time.

“I grew up in Milwaukee.” – Good start, making him an authority on the subject.

Everyone in the area recognizes Marquette as a school with high academic standards and an occasionally impressive basketball program” – Who is this everyone? Most people in Philadelphia, my residence, have no idea if MU is good academically or not and simply know it as that school Dwyane Wade went to that plays Villanova every year. Nationally, the basketball reputation outweighs the academic.

Everyone in the area means the Milwaukee area, not Philadelphia.
    Greska now lives in Philly.
    #BringShakaHome

Quote Originally Posted by warriorfan4life View Post
    Greska now lives in Philly.
    Yes but that isn't the point. Moron Metcalf said, "I grew up in Milwaukee. Everyone in the area knows Marquette as....."

Gretska responded, "Everyone knows? Who is everyone? People in Philly..."

It was obvious the original writer meant "Everyone in Milwaukee knows Marquette as..."

My point was if you are going to rip on shoddy journalism, don't rip on it with shoddy journalism.

I did e-mail him. Here is what I wrote.

Mr. Medcalf,

I don't even know where to begin. Let's just say I find your assessment of Marquette in terms of quality of coaching job an absolute joke.

Did you really say a program that sees "occasional success"? Seriously?

Would you honestly assess a program that made the NCAA Tournament eight consecutive years, from 2005-'06 through 2012-'13, as achieving "occasional" success? Marquette was one of only five high-major programs in the country that made the NCAA every year during that period. The others were Duke, Michigan State, Kansas, and Wisconsin. Check it out. You'll see I'm right.

In fact, how about this tidbit. During that same eight-year period only one team finished .500 or above in Big East conference play EVERY SINGLE YEAR. Guess which one. No, not Georgetown, not UConn, not Louisville, not Syracuse, not Villanova, not Pitt, not Notre Dame. Nope. It was MARQUETTE.

You want to guess how many of 72 high-major programs in the country managed to accomplish that same level of success. Yup. Duke, Kansas, Michigan State, and Wisconsin.....and Marquette.

How about your assertion that players from the state would pick UW over MU? Let's start with just RSCI Top 100 players. You do know what RSCI is, don't you?

Let's see. In the Class of 2000, Scott Merrit chose MU. In 2001, it was Travis Diener. In 2002 it was Steve Novak. In 2005 it was Wes Matthews. In 2007 it was Scott Christopherson (who did transfer when Crean left). In 2009 it was Jeronne Maymon. In 2010 it was Vander Blue. In 2013 it was Duane Wilson AND Deonte Burton. In the Class of 2014 it was Sandy Cohen. And in the Class of 2015 it is Nick Noskowiak. Let's do the math. That is 11 in-state recruits in the RSCI Top 100 that have chosen Marquette.

Who did UW get from the state in the RSCI Top 100 during that same stretch? Well, Boo Wade (who left school under a cloud, Devin Harris, Brian Butch, Greg Stiemsma, Trevon Hughes, Evan Anderson, Sam Dekker, and Bronson Koenig. That makes eight. Count them. Eight. (Anderson was so over-rated he hardly ever played in his five years at UW.)

Do you care to rethink your assertion that the best players in the state will pick UW over MU?

Do your homework.

What else? Well, others have already pointed out you got the venue wrong. And your t.v. contract statement was also false. By the way, it was the president of the University of Pittsburgh that submarined the initial ESPN - Big East t.v. deal.

Bottom line. You are a joke. You come off as a complete fool - too lazy to check your information.

Oh, one last thing. Go back and check the last decade in terms of months listed in the Top 20 in the country. I will bet you that you will discover that Marquette ranks among the top 20 programs in the country for number of months ranked in the Top 20.

You can take your article and shove it up your wazoo, Mr. Medcalf. That is if you can figure out where your wazoo is.
    Last edited by Phantom Warrior; 05-27-2014 at 05:54 PM.

Wow! Great e-mail with many facts! Your e-mail blew mine away.

He did take out the part of MU playing at US Cellular Arena. How does one even get that wrong as MU has been in the same arena as the Milwaukee Bucks, since 1988. Plus, the Cell got it's name in 2001.
    Last edited by MU/Panther; 05-27-2014 at 06:03 PM.
    March Madness starts in November

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    Wow! Great e-mail with many facts! Your e-mail blew mine away.

He did take out the part of MU playing at US Cellular Arena. How does one even get that wrong as MU has been in the same arena as the Milwaukee Bucks, since 1988. Plus, the Cell got it's name in 2001.
    If he is going to take out all the errors, he may only be left with "I grew up in Milwaukee." That is, if he got that "fact" correct.

Actually, my e-mail also contains a factual error. SC made a few Top 100 rankings, but he did not make RSCI Top 100, so the real figures should be 10 versus 8. Oh well. I doubt he'll bother to check my "facts," but even if he finds the mistake, my premise still holds true.

Well done Phantom Warrioir. Well done!!!!

We must have gotten bad in record time....a year ago Andy Glockner said it was difficult to leave Marquette out of the top 20 current programs......http://college-basketball.si.com/201...p-20-programs/

Good call on the AP polls Phantom....here is a link for you.....http://statsheet.com/mcb/rankings/re...ost_in_the_top

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast