Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Sterling giving up the fight

So now it's up to Sterling to take the 2 billion or fight on ...............He is crazy enough to litigate but I think in the end he will take the deal

So I guess it is done....according to ESPN no apporval is needed from Donald Sterling....http://espn.go.com/los-angeles/nba/s...ording-sources

Absolutely ridiculous. So the Clips are worth double what the most expensive NFL franchise to ever sell (Browns, $1.05B) are worth? And while the overall price tag was lower than the Dodgers, the Dodgers included a lot more land and a TV deal, which the Clippers don't bring to the table. In terms of strictly franchise value, you could easily argue the Clips are worth more.

This just reminds me more and more why I am losing my interest in professional sports. Freaking ludicrous.

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    Absolutely ridiculous. So the Clips are worth double what the most expensive NFL franchise to ever sell (Browns, $1.05B) are worth?
    Not to you or me, but Ballmer has no idea of the value of money. He attached himself to Bill Gates early in life and with little effort became a billionaire several times over. Add to that his failure to get the Kings, and he decided to pay whatever it took.

I'll bet Blake Griffin, Chris Paul, and a few other Clips will be looking for a bump in their contracts soon. Will be a wild time.

VS

Also if the Browns were for sale right now they would be selling for much more than $1B
    The artist formerly known as "the sitting MU coach for president"

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    Absolutely ridiculous. So the Clips are worth double what the most expensive NFL franchise to ever sell (Browns, $1.05B) are worth? And while the overall price tag was lower than the Dodgers, the Dodgers included a lot more land and a TV deal, which the Clippers don't bring to the table. In terms of strictly franchise value, you could easily argue the Clips are worth more.

This just reminds me more and more why I am losing my interest in professional sports. Freaking ludicrous.

I guess I don't understand why the price of a franchise would bother you.

Quote Originally Posted by ValiantSailor View Post
    I'll bet Blake Griffin, Chris Paul, and a few other Clips will be looking for a bump in their contracts soon. Will be a wild time.
    They're both maxed out under the CBA and have a number of seasons to go before hitting free agency again.

Bill Simmons summed a lot of this nicely when the Bucks were purchased.

http://grantland.com/features/the-wo...xclusive-club/

Quote Originally Posted by MKE_GoldenEagleFan View Post
    Also if the Browns were for sale right now they would be selling for much more than $1B
    The Browns sold in October 2012. Have things really changed that drastically in a year and a half?

And while Ballmer overpaid, Geffen offered $1.6B, so it wasn't that huge a (relative) difference. The reason it bothers me is because it just reinforces how out-of-whack our priorities are. Sports teams are billion dollar playtoys. My Irish always gets up a bit when I see an A-Rod type deal or a sale like this. Just irks me that we care so much more about games than any of the societal ills that could be solved by these billions.

I know, pointless soapbox, I'm sure I'm as guilty as any, but a price tag like that for a franchise as moribund as the Clippers is absurd.

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123