Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Senior Year Doesn't Help Draft Stock...

Senior Year Doesn't Help Draft Stock...

Gary Parrish writes about it:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...y-some-suggest

Totally agree. Everyone just assumes that players (Vander Blue) will increase their stock with an extra year.

Agreed. That's why I've supported Vander's decision despite it hurting MU and why I think Kaminsky is making a mistake, though I get his reasoning. Having a shot at the NBA is pretty uncommon. If you really want to get there, you take your shot when you can. It may or may not work out, but your odds won't get better by passing on the NBA.

Quote Originally Posted by GOMU1104 View Post
    Gary Parrish writes about it:

http://www.cbssports.com/collegebask...y-some-suggest

Totally agree. Everyone just assumes that players (Vander Blue) will increase their stock with an extra year.
    The one difference with Blue was his age. He was very young for a Senior. He would have been similar to a Jr coming out this year (age wise).

But we know of 2 seniors who used their last season to get drafted.....Jimmy Butler and Jae Crowder.

Now I understand they weren't going to be drafted if they left a year early but they still used their senior year to improve their stock from undrafted to late first/early 2nd round.

Vander could have easily done the same......

And Wes Matthews had a great senior year and did not get drafted. Obviously worked out for him in the end, but that doesn't change the fact that his stock wasn't impacted.

Add Lazar to Jae and Jimmy. He improved his stock dramatically as a senior.

I think Kaminsky is making the right decision. I still think Vander blew it (pun not intended). He should have come back. He would probably be a first round pick this year.

Big Frank should have gone as he was a boarder line first rounder. I think that is the point of the article. Boarderline first rounders should go as their stock does not normally improve senior year. The difference with Vander is most indications were he wouldn't be drafted at all and he wasn't. Come back and have a big year and I think he would have been drafted.

I found the article rather unconvincing. He mentions that only 5 seniors were drafted in the first round. OK, but that means a lot of cant miss underclassmen got drafted first. It does not mean that those seniors would have been drafted a year earlier. And while players can make a nice career for themselves in Europe, the money is usually much better in the NBA, and that is what they all dream of. I do think Vander would have benefited from another year. He would have drawn more attention from scouts. I think he would have had a good chance of being drafted, at least in the second round, and as the author points out, that usually gets a player into the league at some point.

Maybe so, but Vander did get into the league. Obviously there's no definitive answer, but he wanted to come out early and play in the NBA, both of which he did, so it's hard to say he was wrong.

Though when it comes to VB, I always expect people to say it anyway.

Vander made it to the league. A lack of a senior year isn't what prevented him from staying there.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast