Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Awards Banquet....

Awards Banquet....

Here are the awards that were given out tonight.....

2011-12 Marquette Men's Basketball Award Winners

Hank Raymonds Sportsmanship Award - Jamail Jones
    Dwyane Wade Legacy of Leadership Award - Jae Crowder
    Standard of Academic Excellence - Juan Anderson & Jake Thomas
    Rebounding Effort - Jae Crowder
    Create for Others - Junior Cadougan
    Sixth Man of the Year - Todd Mayo
    Most Improved Player - Vander Blue
    Defensive Player of the Year - Jamil Wilson & Jae Crowder
    Best Performance in a Supporting Role - Matt Perkins (IT Services)
    Wesley Matthews "Just Today" Award - Chris Otule
    Lazar Hayward "Everyday Tough" Award - Junior Cadougan
    Rob Frozena "We Are Marquette" Award - Jamil Wilson
    Joseph Fulce "WDYL? 1%" Award - Derrick Wilson
    Jimmy Butler "Only Now Exists" Award - Davante Gardner
    "Sacrifice For The String" Award - Darius Johnson-Odom
    Most Valuable Performer - Jae Crowder & Darius Johnson-Odom
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

More awards than a youth soccer team. Who brought the Capri Sun?

So everyone gets a postseason award and a ring for making the tournament. It's gotten a little absurd.

My opinion on the awards is that when a team is successful, it takes all of the players to contribute whether it's in practice or in games. To reward all of the members with something gives everyone a sense that they played a role in winning whether they played 35 minutes a game or 5.

I agree completely with Ted, but I did like the "Who brought the Capri Sun?" line by MUfan12. That was well played.

Quote Originally Posted by MUfan12 View Post
    More awards than a youth soccer team. Who brought the Capri Sun?

So everyone gets a postseason award and a ring for making the tournament. It's gotten a little absurd.
    Jeez. Why don't you take it up with Buzz? Something tells me he knows a little more about how to motivate and inspire a team than you do.

This is all Buzz's doing and it worked well last night. May have been the best banquet since 2003. Many awards, true. But each of the guys had a chance to speak and the name awards keep our NBA guys involved. I would suggest a Steve Novak Shooting Award be added. Multiple awards give the faithful another chance to acknowledge and extend appreciation to the players for the hard work and sucess. I think a side benefit is it instills in the players a greater affinity to MU as we alums and fans show our gratitude and encouragement for the players' post-MU lives. I can't criticize at all. It works very well.

Quote Originally Posted by MUfan12 View Post
    Who brought the Capri Sun?
    If we're bringing Capri Sun, I propose handing out another award to whomever can open the damn things without having them explode all over the place. Juice in a bag...cmon.

A very good event. Though, would prefer it to be on campus at The Al or the Union. Renaissance Place was a rather awkward venue for this event and has parking issues which limits attendance potential.

Were there any surprise guests, i.e., recruits etc.?

Quote Originally Posted by Cooby Snacks View Post
    If we're bringing Capri Sun, I propose handing out another award to whomever can open the damn things without having them explode all over the place. Juice in a bag...cmon.
    No kidding. Hi-C for this guy. Ecto Cooler was where it was at.

Quote Originally Posted by kneelb4zerg View Post
    Jeez. Why don't you take it up with Buzz? Something tells me he knows a little more about how to motivate and inspire a team than you do.
    Kneel, I don't know why you get so defensive when there's any criticism of the way Buzz does things. But it's a little tiresome. I don't have a problem with the awards as much as publicly handing out rings like they've done at the BBQ and Madness. It just seems small time. A Sweet 16 is a nice accomplishment, but come on. If Crean did that people would have been all over him.

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast