Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: What Does This Mean for Big East and Marquette

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    How much came from the Longhorn Network? That is something that most other schools do not have. So while Texas may have cleared $20mil, those numbers start to peel back for all other schools.

I have freaking had it with the Big 5 conferences. The majority of them lose money, but they are fighting for a split that they can't afford because they don't want to share a dime with the rest of the schools, God forbid one of them make it to a BCS game. Remember, the Big 5 are the ones that created the BCS to cater to themselves. Then, when the smaller schools broke through, they changed the rules.

The biggest reason why I am so fed up with the Big 5 conferences is that they keep throwing the NCAA under the bus. Wow, that's great - bitch about the NCAA. Bitch that they don't let you do what you want, bitch that they have too many rules, bitch that they are understaffed, but it is you football schools that peeled back from the NCAA - the NCAA does not get $1 dollar from college football. Maybe if the NCAA got 1/10 of 1% of the football contracts they could adequately staff themselves to deal with you.

Sorry that schools like Boise State, Air Force, Army, Navy, Cincinnati, Fresno State and Northern Illinois break into the rankings once in a while. Quit trying to hoard every dime or you will kill off what you have.

There is one logical fallacy in your post.

The BCS did more for the smaller schools than the previous system ever did. Do you think Boise, Northern Illinois, etc. get into Fiesta and Orange Bowls without the BCS? Nope.

Seriously, those teams do not draw the eyeballs to the television sets. They do not draw the fans to the games. Why on earth should they get a more equitable share of the revenue?

I understand what you are saying here Sultan, but I don't agree.

I don't think it is fair to give payouts based on the perceived interest in a particular school (before even knowing who those schools are) that earned the right to play in the same game.

I also think the bowl game attendance for non BCS members in BCS bowl games has been as good or better in many cases, so I'm not sure I agree with that premise.

What you are saying is that it is fair to pay bigger schools more to play in the same games. So with that logic, the NCAA tourney could say schools from the Big 5will earn tier level one credits, and all other NCAA participants will earn tier level two or three credits for playing in the tourney.

Exposure for maybe one small school each year, maybe, but the BCS also ended any chance of a small school national champ like BYU too. Without the BCS, it is possible Utah or Boise State could have been crowned national champion in one of the polls.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    So I guess other schools can play by the same new rules should they choose, may be up to conferences.

It will be interesting to see how they define student athlete. Does that mean full time schollie, partial schollie, walk-on, football and basketball only, etc.

The article sited an example of giving kids a bump for cost of living, and used what I'd guess is an arbitrary figure of $6,000 cost of attendance.
    Big time football schools, like Wisconsin, recruit walk-ons as they can offer in state tuition and a possible future schollie (think Aberderis). I wonder if he and others will still take the walkon over a schollie elsewhere if in addition to not paying tuition, he now could get paid $6,000 bucks per year on top of the schollie. Bucky, I love ya, but Northern Ill is offering a full ride and $6k per year.

This will be interesting to see if there is a split, or if the other 5 FBS conferences step up.

There also needs to be integrity in the game. Not all decisions should be made for financial reasons. This is why Congress needs to do something to address college athletics relative to taxation or exemption of profits and cessation of the conference hopping. There also needs to be something done relative to the unionization of college athletics. BTW, the Northwestern football players looking to unionize should consider they are getting a $60,000+ annual payment in the form of tuition, books, computers, room and board. That is an after tax number. The real value of their scholarship, if everything was paid in cash, would require an annual income of approximately $80,000.+

Goose the attendance and tv ratings for the bowls where non BCS schools are lower. This is why those schools were always chosen last during the BCS bowl era. And yeah I do realize that payouts can't completely be on popularity, but you have to understand the position of the big conferences. They drive most of college football and basketball's popularity. I completely understand why they feel that they should get a greater say in governance matters.

And Gato I have mentioned earlier that athletic income should be considered unrelated income and therefore taxable. However that is likely going to impact schools like Marquette as much as schools like Texas.

I would rather keep the tax exemption but , oddly enough, have college sports regulated by the federal government in conjunction with the NCAA. Recruiting violations could be crimes so as to clean a lot of the shady dealings and level the playing field. Student athletes at the big schools need to quit griping and understand the value of the education they are receiving.

Anybody ever see the movie "The King of Hearts"?

From what I just read in that article, the inmates will be in charge of the asylum. The five conferences and their members will skew the field so much in their favor, it will be impossible for any other schools not in these conferences to compete on equal footing.

What a crock!

It is a crock Phantom, especially when the "Haves" are trying to separate themselves from the "Have nots" yet include programs like Northwestern, Vanderbilt, Wake Forest etc in the "Haves".

I guess I don't know exactly what you and Phantom want them to do. Not accept the television money? Not to charge max prices on their seats? Not to charge full cost of attendance scholarships?

The problem with Division 1 isn't the "Power 5" and conferences like the BE that can afford to play at their level. The problem is the multitude of low level schools and conferences that have no business is Division 1 and are leaching off the popularity of the other schools.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast