Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345

Thread: What Does This Mean for Big East and Marquette

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Exactly wisc. I agree with that statement. Instead of being hypocritical chicken littles about this, lets take a look on how these changes can benefit Marquette, it's basketball program and its student athletes.

Is giving a higher value scholarship that bad of an idea? Would giving players quality advice from an agent bad?

And one more thing. If the ACC invited Marquette to be a non football member, the majority of fans would be thrilled. Absolutely thrilled. We would join the Power 5 in an instant if given the chance.
    Certainly student athletes would benefit. Not sure that MU or the BB program would benefit except from the standpoint that many conferences/schools would not be able to fund the changes thus rendering them ineffective in recruiting.

How does this impact the other sports who can give out partial schollies?

For example, if the Badgers use the full number of schollies for the men and women teams listed, UW would have 167 men (98 FB/BB) and 137 (15 BB)women total schollies. There are a lot of schollies divided among many athletes. MU, on the other hand, would have 57 men (13 BB) and 79 (15BB) women.

Far cheaper for basketball only schools to handle than football schools, but even so probably pretty attainable for all FBS schools, and most non football D1 schools too.

Where you might see the impact is your one bid NCAA leagues like the Horizon with UWM and UWGB.
    Could there be some conference changes at the lower D1 levels to allign those that want to participate fully and those that don't?

Goose with regards to impact on conference membership, that is a good issue that I hadn't thought of. I had a conversation just yesterday with a colleague from a school that recently moved to division one and this is a huge issue for them. He thinks they should drop back but their board doesn't think they will swallow their pride.

So...do have this right...the Big 5 conferences would be able to pay athletes but The Big East will not have that option?

CollegeBasketbllTalk ‏@CBTonNBC now
    NCAA waves goodbye to hardship waivers; ‘Big Five’ leagues a step closer to autonomy http://wp.me/p1aWjM-24Hw

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    So...do have this right...the Big 5 conferences would be able to pay athletes but The Big East will not have that option?

NCAA waves goodbye to hardship waivers; ‘Big Five’ leagues a step closer to autonomy http://wp.me/p1aWjM-24Hw
    The CBS.com article linked earlier in this thread suggests otherwise...?

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post

The hardhip waiver is a big deal in football, not so much basketball.

In football a large percentage of kids almost automatically redshirt frosh year.
    Then, if after another year or two they find they are not moving up the depth chart they blow a year of playing time if they transfer (many started going FCS so as not not lose a year).

Sounds like now, if you redshirt your first year, then after a couple years find you are replaced by a younger player, you can transfer - sit out the year, and still have two years left (4 years of play in six year when only 5 years was allowed).

When is this to take effect? I think of a kid from IWB's pro-am Drew Windler. Redshirted his first year, then after two years new coach comes in and has a different style. Drew transfers but ends up losing a year (redshirt year, transfer year, 3 years playing in 5 year span).

Will Uthoff gain another year at Iowa?

I assume this won't impact Fischer either. Both of his half years will still count as full years?

Page 5 of 5 FirstFirst ... 345