Thread: What Does This Mean for Big East and Marquette

Hybrid View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Is the assumption that all athletic departments in the Big 5 conferences make money, or should I say are on the plus side every year?

What happens to tv contracts if viewership or revenue begins to drop (are there renegotiation points in the contracts)?
    What happens if attendance drops for football?
    What about those schools that can't charge a high seat license, or can't charge a lot for tickets?

We know football drives the bus, but what about schools that don't put 70,000 or more in the stands each Saturday. Here are a few that drew less than 45K per game last year from the Big 5 (could be others, it was a quick check). Are all of these athletic departments making money? They might be, I don't know.

Duke 26K per game
    Wake 28
    Wash St 29
    BC 33
    VAndy 35
    Kansas 37
    Syracuse 38
    Colorado 38
    Northwestern 39
    Maryland 41
    Oregon St 42
    Illinois 43
    Indiana 44

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    Is the assumption that all athletic departments in the Big 5 conferences make money, or should I say are on the plus side every year?

What happens to tv contracts if viewership or revenue begins to drop (are there renegotiation points in the contracts)?
    What happens if attendance drops for football?

What if a meteor hits the stadium tomorrow?

Look, what you are talking about may happen. But those are long term issues that can be resolved well into the future.