View Poll Results: Should Panthers play in potential new Bucks arena?

Voters
5. You may not vote on this poll
  • Hell yes, lots of choices on where to sit

0 0%
  • No, the Cell is as close to a perfect home as we can get

2 40.00%
  • Maybe, will the Bradley Burger come with the arena?

0 0%
  • Jimmy, crack cocaine is bad for your health

3 60.00%
Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Should new arena host Panthers games?

Should new arena host Panthers games?

This is the question I pose: even though the space would be too large for the program in its current state and the Panthers would be the fourth tenants after the Bucks, Admirals and Marquette, should they move to the Bucks' new arena if and when it is built?

Obviously I'm not actually expecting it to happen. I just want the discussion, especially when we're talking about spending hundreds of millions of dollars to go to an arena for private sports teams when the public sports team gets next to nothing.

If there's a way to curtain off the upper deck at the new arena the way they do at BC Place for Whitecaps matches, this might be feasible. Otherwise, let's stick with the cell.

I didn't vote that you are on crack. I like the idea of open thought.

I really look forward to the new jumbo scoreboard at the US Cellular Arena. Plus, they are replacing 8,000 seats. With the Milwaukee Wave future up in the air. It's like the Panthers are getting their own arena.
    March Madness starts in November

I'm just saying the conversation should be started by all this new arena talk for the Bucks.

Can UWM afford it?
    I think that MU pays over $25K per game to play at the BC now.
    With a new facility that per game rental fee may go up.

Not sure what UWM pays now at the arena, but I'd guess it is less than the BC.

The Panthers pay 14k per game. 3% increase each year.

Marquette's old lease from 2006 to 2011 was 19.6k per game. Don't know what it is now.
    Last edited by MU/Panther; 04-18-2014 at 08:20 PM.

I wouldn't actually expect it to happen, it I could say that any money that the new arena would have picked up in lease money from UWM would be given back to taxpayers out of the commitment to UWM. May be pennies per taxpayer, but Republican legislators can use it as a selling point.

You are giving those legislators too much credit. They couldn't care less about UWM. You do realize that the word "Milwaukee" appears in "UWM," don't you?

It would be ridiculous for our program to play in whatever new white elephant is built to replace the current white elephant. Imagine UIC playing Oakland at the United Center and you'd have a good idea what that would look like. It would also be horrible to be the fourth team tenant in line for scheduling. That problem is already bad enough at the Cell. Frankly it will be ridiculous for MU to play in the new mega-arena if it's even larger than the BC, but since the BC will be razed if they build the new white elephant, they won't have a practical alternative. In the NBE MU will not need anything approaching that kind of capacity more than maybe twice a year -- three times in the years they host UW.

Actually I can't vote for either of your non-humorous options. I agree that it's galling that a multi-hundred million dollar public fleecing for the benefit of purely private interests is about to happen with no part of that money to the benefit of the region's major University, but there's no way that would be a good venue for our program. And while I like the Cell, it's not a perfect venue for us, just the best practical alternative. You and I both know the "perfect" home for the program would be a McLeod Center-like arena somewhere reasonably close to the upper east side entertainment districts. If only, right?

I don't think anything is every "perfect" everyone needs to find the best fit. I really look forward to the upgrade to the Cell, that seems it will be a major plus for the Milwaukee Panthers.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast