Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast

Thread: Kohl apparently has reached a deal to sell the Bucks

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    I don't think any of that is the case.

While I don't think MU or the Admirals will put money into building a new arena, they are heavily involved. The Bradley Center is not fine as a college arena. Too many upper deck seats with no leg room for starters.

In the grand scheme of University priorities, I think the Bradley Center is fine. I would hope that the University would ask its benefactors to focus on endowment, academic capital needs, etc. Would it be nice for Marquette? No doubt. But significant charitable assets would be better spent elsewhere.

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    Might be other sources....don't jump to conclusions.....

Attansio has already said he would make a contribution...naming rights can be sold......other business money can come in......MU could make a contribution.....

Lot's of things could happen.........

Sorry I should have clarified... I think the new arena will eventually be built, however the city won't fund the majority of it, if that ends up the case it won't happen... Sorry about that, that's what I get for not re reading what I wrote
    The artist formerly known as "the sitting MU coach for president"

Might be other sources....don't jump to conclusions.....

Attansio has already said he would make a contribution...naming rights can be sold......other business money can come in......MU could make a contribution.....

Lot's of things could happen.........
    I think there is little to no chance MU puts in any contribution to a new arena. After eliminating over 100 employment lines 2 months ago, donating to a new arena would look really bad.

He announced today that he is giving 100 million....if he was giving more you would think he would have just gone ahead and announced it today.....
    That's what I get for writing all day (sadly not for this site) and not paying attention

Quote Originally Posted by mutpm View Post
    I think there is little to no chance MU puts in any contribution to a new arena. After eliminating over 100 employment lines 2 months ago, donating to a new arena would look really bad.
    While MU may not donate directly, major MU donors may. One of the biggest supporters of MU athletics is not an MU grad, and may be more inclined to support a Milwaukee initiative like a new arena, than an MU initiative for the engineering school or overall endowment, etc.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    While MU may not donate directly, major MU donors may. One of the biggest supporters of MU athletics is not an MU grad, and may be more inclined to support a Milwaukee initiative like a new arena, than an MU initiative for the engineering school or overall endowment, etc.
    I could see that, but he may be the only significant MU donor that could give a meaningful gift to a project like this and not have an affect on MU fundraising.

Maybe the hedge fund guys could sell minority interest in the Bucks to guys like Attanasio, etc. and use the proceeds toward the new facility......sell 49% for $250 million....

PS, surprised Kohl is only offering $100 million. Not like he needs much to support himself and he is a bachelor.

It's tough to rip a guy that commits $100 million, but I'm going to. It's been public knowledge that Kohl was going to put in something for the new arena, but we never knew how much. It was also speculated that the Bucks would sell for $400 million at most. Given that Kohl made $100 million more than originally expected, I would have thought he would/could kick in a little more. With that said, it's an unbelievably generous gift and I'm hoping the rest of the money will be committed and the new arena can be built.

Quote Originally Posted by mutpm View Post
    It's tough to rip a guy that commits $100 million, but I'm going to. It's been public knowledge that Kohl was going to put in something for the new arena, but we never knew how much. It was also speculated that the Bucks would sell for $400 million at most. Given that Kohl made $100 million more than originally expected, I would have thought he would/could kick in a little more. With that said, it's an unbelievably generous gift and I'm hoping the rest of the money will be committed and the new arena can be built.
    I think at the end of the day Kohl very well may kick in more. I think he will first need to see what the plan is, and what type of additional funding they can generate with naming rights, other private investors, corporate sponsors, etc.

The sale price of the Bucks does not indicate cash in pocket to Kohl. Purportedly there was about $300 million in debt accumulated over the years.

Page 3 of 5 FirstFirst 12345 LastLast