Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Burton - Some Perspective

Burton - Some Perspective

During conference play (19 games including tournament), Deonte played double-digit minutes in 11 games, his most minutes in the tournament game against Xavier (24) and the first conference game against Creighton (20). Those are the only two times he got 20 or more minutes.

During those 11 games, Deonte averaged 16.1 mpg.

During those 16.1 minutes, he averaged 11.1 ppg.

An average of 11.1 ppg would have put him in the Top 25 (24th) in scoring in the conference.

Extrapolated to 25 mpg, that would come to 17.3 ppg, which would have been tied for 6th in the conference behind McDermott (33.7 mpg), Cotton (41.9 mpg), Christon (36.8 mpg), Starks (37.4 mpg), Smith-Rivera (37.0 mpg), Young (35.3 mpg), and tied him with Harrison (35.1 mpg).

Extrapolated to 30 mpg, DB's ppg would have been 20.6 ppg, which would have ranked 3rd in the conference behind only McDermott and Cotton.

(DB needs to improve his conditioning, but I think 25 mpg next year is reasonable and 30 mpg is not out of the question.)

In those 11 games, DB shot 50% from the field (48 of 96) and made 4 of 6 trey attempts.

In those 11 games - 16.1 mpg - DB averaged 3.3 rpg.

Extrapolated to 25 mpg, that would come to 4.7 rpg, not earth-shattering, but not terrible either.

Bottom line: I can very easily envision DB averaging at least 25 mpg next year and averaging 15-16 ppg and 5-6 rpg. If we are able to get out in transition, his ppg could even be higher, and if he can approach 30 mpg, he could average 18-20 ppg and 6-7 rpg. That many mpg will depend on what shape he is in and whether or not he can avoid foul problems. But if he can do both, he could be one of the top half dozen scorers in the league next year.

I could see him playing 30+ minutes next year easy. I told Father Dan's Camera last night at the banquet that I would not be surprised if he reaches All-American status before he is done at MU which would be first MU player since Jerel's 2nd team AP AA team in '09.

EDIT: Whoops - forgot about Jae being a 2nd team AA as well in '12.
    Last edited by CaribouJim; 04-16-2014 at 02:59 PM.

I love Burton, and agree that he has legitimate All-American potential. He's one of those guys that seems likely to stay 4 years because of his size, but has all the talent in the world.

I would, however, caution especially MU fans when it comes to trying to extrapolate numbers based on a small sample size. That's the kind of logic that got McIlvaine his massive contract. That whole "If he can average 3 blocks in 15 minutes, imagine what he'll do in 40 minutes" logic didn't work out so well

Quote Originally Posted by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77" View Post
    I would, however, caution especially MU fans when it comes to trying to extrapolate numbers based on a small sample size. That's the kind of logic that got McIlvaine his massive contract. That whole "If he can average 3 blocks in 15 minutes, imagine what he'll do in 40 minutes" logic didn't work out so well
    Mac might disagree on it not working out.
    90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

I love Burton, and agree that he has legitimate All-American potential. He's one of those guys that seems likely to stay 4 years because of his size, but has all the talent in the world.

Maybe, maybe not. In any event, he was as vastly, vastly underutilized this past season...period...end of discussion.

See: The Xavier BET game. 23 points in 24 minutes. For some reason he got the modified Dawson @Providence treatment in that game. I was sitting less than 10 rows back at MSG bewildered every time he hit the bench. Should have played 30+ that night. Guy's a scoring machine with a natural affinity for steals & blocks and was criminally underused on a team starved for offensive production, creativity & open court play. Can't wait to see what he can do under the new regime.

Quote Originally Posted by MayorBeluga View Post
    Mac might disagree on it not working out.
    Touche, sir, touche.
    Last edited by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"; 04-16-2014 at 06:10 PM.

Additionally, per 40 minutes, Burton was also third in the league, just behind Gardner. More so, MU had three players in the Top 13...yet none were MU starters. Perplexing for sure.

Good stuff.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/sta...g-east&games=1

How does Burton adjust to being the guy next year? Teams will be looking at him and preparing for him much more next year... I think Burton will get 13-16 ppg, but the key is who else will step up? Can Mayo be more consistent? Who will help inside until Fischer gets on board? We will finally see what Duane Wilson brings to the table, which I think will disappoint as expectations are way too high for a kid with 0 minutes played at this level (note: I think he will be a real good 4 year player), how do Dawson, and JJJ progress?

Lots of unknowns for next year, overall I think it will be similar to last year although I think we make the NIT after all is said and done.
    The artist formerly known as "the sitting MU coach for president"

Quote Originally Posted by BLT View Post
    Additionally, per 40 minutes, Burton was also third in the league, just behind Gardner. More so, MU had three players in the Top 13...yet none were MU starters. Perplexing for sure.

Good stuff.

http://statsheet.com/mcb/players/sta...g-east&games=1
    ...and Todd at #13.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast