Thread: Marquette’s recruiting strategy this spring

Marquette’s recruiting strategy this spring

I think things are a lot clearer than we realized. Priority one – establish a relationship with the players on the current roster to retain the corps of the team. That has been accomplished.

On to the players who have signed national letters of intent. I think Wojo has established that he would like all of them at Marquette. That is not always true with a coaching transition. Our new coach is also pragmatic. He has to have a plan A, B, C and beyond.

My guess is he has made it clear that he will let any of them out of their NLI’s if they want it. (If he hasn’t already) That said Wojo is treating this like a slightly better than ground zero recruiting effort.

I think there is a deadline in place and if a new and better recruit is ready to commit the player with the NLI will get the priority if he is willing to recommit. This gives both side flexibility and insures that Marquette would have a scholarship available for that blue chip player who might come available unexpectedly. (Luke Fisher paid his own way but many could not afford that option.

Here’s Wojo’s sales pitch. “You are familiar with Marquette and the outstanding academic and athletic resources we commit to student/athletes. That is unchanged. Marquette is in the top category of universities with that kind of support.”

“I understand that a big part of your commitment was to the former coaching staff and I respect that greatly and realize we have to build a relationship for you and your family to be comfortable. Please give me a chance to establish a two way line of communication so I know you better and you understand where I come from as a coach.”

“My background is blue collar, Baltimore. I wasn’t the most gifted athlete but along the way my parents and coaches helped me achieve at the highest level. After my playing days I wanted to pass on that special gift I received to other student/athletes. I’ve worked with and for a College Basketball Hall of Fame coach for nearly 20 years. I’ve also been able to coach some of the top players in the world and be part of a NCAA Tournament Championship team. Because of that experience we will be able to access some of the top teachers in basketball.”

“At Marquette we will emphasis lockdown defense that ignites a fast break offense. Player development will be the top priority on the court and in the classroom.”

“My life and career has been blessed by people who have made a difference and who created a stable environment for me to grow as a person. That’s what I am about and that’s what I want to give you.”
    Last edited by TulsaWarrior; 04-11-2014 at 02:56 PM.

Tulsa, you should be writing Wojo's speeches. Sign me up !

Tulsa you sold me too, I'm past my prime but I'll give it another shot with Wojo.

Have to disagree with Wojo. If you're 5'19" and a McD AA you have to be an off the charts athlete.

Any McDonald's AA would likely be an off-the-charts athlete, but wouldn't 5'19" be the same as 6'7"?

Hit the 9 instead of the 0. Your arithmetic is correct, though.