Thread: RSCI Top 100 Recruits: A Retrospective

RSCI Top 100 Recruits: A Retrospective

When Crean took over the program from Deane (1999-2000), MU's roster had a grand total of 0 players who were ranked among the Top 100 in their class. The closest were Wardle, who was just outside the Top 100, and Cordell, who was somewhere in the Top 125-150. Since then......(I am including DW as Top 100 as he was ranked among the Top 100 on two sites but just missed on the overall RSCI, and I am including Lazar as Top 100 because only a statistical quirk that only existed for his class kept him out of RSCI Top 100, though he was viewed by every site as a Top 100 recruit. I can explain that later if anyone is interested.) Here we go:

# of Top 100 recruits on MU's roster from '99-'00:

'99-'00: None

'00-'01: Merrit (Wade not yet eligible)

'01-'02: Merrit, Wade,Diener

'02-'03: Merrit, Wade, Diener, Jackson, Novak

'03-'04: Merrit, Diener, Novak, Mason

'04-'05: Diener, Novak, Mason

'05-'06: Novak, James, McNeal, Matthews

'06-'07: James, McNeal, Matthews, Hayward

'07-'08: James, McNeal, Matthews, Hayward, Mbakwe

'08-'09: James, McNeal, Matthews, Hayward

'09-'10: Hayward, Cadougan, Maymon, Williams

'10-'11: Cadougan, Williams, Blue, Jones

'11-'12: Cadougan, Blue, Jones, Wilson, Anderson

'12-'13: Cadougan, Blue, Wilson, Anderson, Taylor

'13-'14: Wilson, Anderson, Taylor, Burton, Johnson, D. Wilson (medical red-shirt)

Now look at the potential rosters for '14-'15 and '15-'16 in terms of Top 100 RSCI recruits (if AH and NN end up at MU).

'14-'15: Anderson, Taylor, Burton, Johnson, Wilson, Fischer, Cohen, Hill(?)

'15-'16: Taylor, Burton, Johnson, Wilson, Fischer, Cohen, Hill (?), Noskowiak (?)

Not all of our Top 100 recruits panned out as Mason, Mbkwe, Christopherson, Jones, Williams, and Maymon all transferred, but most of our Top 100 recruits during the past 15 years ended up starters (including Mason).

I just find it interesting in terms of recruiting to see the overall upgrade from Deane, through Crean, through Buzz. I have a feeling Wojo will not only keep that momentum going but will add to it.
    Last edited by Phantom Warrior; 04-11-2014 at 11:45 AM.

Nice retrospective. Those next two teams are definitely loaded on paper.

If we could add Stone or Ellenson to that mix of 15-16, that would be a talented roster - but as Brew said, on paper.

This trend is partially due to Bill Cords and Steve Cottingham who recognized the importance of recruiting in their handling of Coaching changes.

Thank you Phantom for your well done report: "I have a feeling Wojo will not only keep that momentum going but will add to it." I think the same.