Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: More Radio

My guess it is more about exposure than it is the quality of the interview.

True but you should never bite the hand that feeds you and he has done more for MU over the years than anyone but the PR guy probably has no idea about that.

Quote Originally Posted by Marquette View Post
    I have only listened to Jimmy's show twice, but he shouldn't have to be thrown a bone, he has already proven that he is better than the local hacks.
    The key is Jim has been able to get the guests that MU fans want to hear. Local guys probably don't even know who Shayok or Hill were, or even who the assistant coaches were, yet Jim had them on which appeals to the MU faithful. Great stuff IWB.

I will flip it this way. Wojo is very busy, I would wait untill the dust settles and bring him on Brew City Radio "Inside the Al." In May or so, when we would have new questions for Wojo. Odds are there might be 1 to 3 new players on the team, that we never heard of today.
    March Madness starts in November

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Likely - Don't get me wrong, I have no issues being turned down when the national media gets him, no problem at all. I have no issues when I get turned down when he is on ESPN Milwaukee as that is the MU basketball flagship.

But when people who haven't covered an MU game all year, not one single game, not one single media availability or press conference get him on? Then I do take offense to it.

Since we started our "little radio show" we have had guests that included.... Brad Autry, Jeff Reynolds, Issac Chew, Jerry Wainwright, Jamie McNeilly, Lyle Wolf, Sandy Cohen, Nick Noskowiak, Marial Shayok, Satchel Pierce and Ahmed Hill. With the exception of Wainwright, I would bet that at least two of the local shows that had him on the last couple of days would not have any idea who those guys are.

End rant.

For now.
    I caught that when you said that on your radio show and felt for you Jimmy. I agree. You do a great job for MU fans, and should get some consideration.
    The PR lineup of preferred questioners at the Intro Presser was questionable IMHO, especially the lamebrain woman who asked a ? about WI and took the focus off of the new coach and MU program. Some of you may defend that, but I thought it was disrespectful and diminishing of the focus of the presser - totally borrowed interest.

UJ, as for hard work by the MU PR department, I bet they are getting calls from the stations at this point because of Coach W's name recognition and background. Have not seen nor heard of them selling an interview in Chi Metro with 19,000 alum fan base, but maybe I'm wrong - should be a priority. Whatever, they need to keep selling after the initial blush is over... let's see what their story hooks are and how many placements they get 4/15 - 10/15. I have been critical of that group for a long time because IMHO their work is not aggressive and we have had more than our share of PR mishandling. Jimmy I hope my viewpoint on this board doesn't get you in any trouble in the Wells St. Bunker - MY rant.

The women was Stephanie Sutton from WISN-channel 12.
    March Madness starts in November

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    The women was Stephanie Sutton from WISN-channel 12.
    Great story about Stephanie Sutton. During my days as a sports intern (at a different station, in a different market) I would get to go to Packer locker availability. Mike Wahle was famous for staring down at the floor during locker room interviews. After an embarrassing 47-27 loss at home to Tennessee on Monday night, the Packers were 1-4. In the reporter gaggle, Stephanie asked Wahle "Is the team's goal still to make the playoffs?" Wahle looks up, stares at Sutton with a WTF look on his face, says nothing, looks back down. The interview then continued with another reporter asking a different question.

For the record, the Packers finished 11-5 that year and did make the playoffs.

Out of habit, I read my hometown newspaper every day via the Internet and listen to some radio via internet streams, but I seldom see TV unless I'm up there visiting. Is Stephanie Sutton any good (per Warrior Nich, and her UW question, she sounds like an airhead)? Does she cover MU much or well?

Otherwise, it sounds like IWB said that some of the preferred questioners were never around at MU pressers before, yet had some clout to be allowed question...
    my guess us she doesn't cover or know much about MU and is a typical TV talking head

Just an FYI - Nobody was a "preferred questioner". MU had people on each side of the media rows with microphones. If you had a question, you motioned to them and they got you the mic. At an event like this most people will only ask one question and let others have their chance. You won't typically see the student media ask questions at an event like this, but I believe one did.

At a typical media event you will have the same guys usually asking questions. Those people are usually Hunt, me & Gruman.

At a post game you will have a lot more students asking questions, as well as any TV personality that is there.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Thanks Jim for clarification. From watching the stream, I thought that it was perhaps more stage-managed because of who asked questions and I am wrong. I counted (trying to do from memory now... which is weak 2 from 540 (Homer and someone else who identified himself as from the flagship station), Mike Hunt from JS, Tom Pippins from local TV station, Ms Sutton from local TV station, OnMilwaukee.com, Channel 4 WTMJ-TV (?) and PaintTouches.com [2 part question with 2nd on "analytics"] for a total of 8 and then they shut it down. I hope that you get your day with Coach Steve soon... Looking forward to it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast