Thread: Wojo positives and negatives

Wojo positives and negatives

Positives:
    Great pedigree and has been in major pressure games/situations. Has experience in that regard.
    Brings the Duke name and can name drop tons of contacts with NBA players
    Young and energetic. By all accounts was running practice at Duke in last few years. Will work tirelessly.
    Seems like a sincere guy. I can see our graduation rate improving and a limit on "off court issues"

Negatives:
    Because he is assistant, won't be bringing any players with him
    Has never been anywhere but Duke- which is in itself a bubble of college basketball. It ain't like Duke in Milwaukee
    How does he sell himself to inner city kids from difficult and unfortunate backgrounds?
    Other coaches will negatively recruit against him .. "He's going to Duke any year now"..that will hurt
    First time head coach, never recruited without the Duke name, and does not know Wisconsin

Given what it seemed like our other options were, I will take it. I will give him next year to learn the ropes and even out the roster. Scuzz Williams left the cupboard completely empty. I would expect to be back in the NCAA by 2016 and a program that spends what we do on basketball should expect the same. We are now at a level where we cannot go 3 straight years without the NCAA, in my opinion.

His sale to not just inner city kids but all is he was a HS all-American, played for Coach K, coached for Coach K and helped the players reach their goal of playing in the NBA. I think they will listen and relate.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reptile View Post
    His sale to not just inner city kids but all is he was a HS all-American, played for Coach K, coached for Coach K and helped the players reach their goal of playing in the NBA. I think they will listen and relate.
    Plus he was the first member of his family to get to college...blue-collar background.

VS

He went to high school in Baltimore, so he likely has no problem with inner city kids. Probably has more familiarity than most. A lot tougher city than Milwaukee.

Said his dad was a longshoreman and his mom was a homemaker. Got pretty emotional when talking about them, said even though he was the first in his family to go to college, his parents taught him more than he could ever learn in any school.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Miles Simon on ESPN said in the studio between games of the NIT, that Wojo is a homerun hire for Marquette.

I like the fact that he still has enough to actually get into the drills with the players from what I've seen in those coaching videos. I'm pumped for the hire.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    Said his dad was a longshoreman and his mom was a homemaker. Got pretty emotional when talking about them, said even though he was the first in his family to go to college, his parents taught him more than he could ever learn in any school.
    Plus, he didn't bring that up on his own. It was in response to a question about his background and being a 1st generation college student.