Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Matt Tiby, Killing Faux-Rodents on Twitter

Enrollment at UWM is just shy of 28,000.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

With that kind of enrollment, you'd think they could draw to the Cell. A lot of Milwaukee alums here in town too. I agree with Jim that UWM not trying to elbow their way into the MVC was a big mistake.

First off, having a terrible year last year could not have come at a worse time.

I said it then and I will say it again - their hire for the athletic director was a HUGE mistake. No, not talking about her abilities, not talking about her resume etc., but when all of the conferences were shifting, and there were conferences looking to plug holes, they needed someone out there trying to get them in the door somewhere, yet they hired an AD that wasn't going to start for another 2 1/2 months. In the most critical time of the changes in the college conference landscape, they hired someone and agreed to let her stay and finish out her current job. Dumb. They needed someone with clout that was going to walk in the door the next morning and immediately start lobbying the MVC, A-10 and anyone else that would listen.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    First off, having a terrible year last year could not have come at a worse time.

I said it then and I will say it again - their hire for the athletic director was a HUGE mistake. No, not talking about her abilities, not talking about her resume etc., but when all of the conferences were shifting, and there were conferences looking to plug holes, they needed someone out there trying to get them in the door somewhere, yet they hired an AD that wasn't going to start for another 2 1/2 months. In the most critical time of the changes in the college conference landscape, they hired someone and agreed to let her stay and finish out her current job. Dumb. They needed someone with clout that was going to walk in the door the next morning and immediately start lobbying the MVC, A-10 and anyone else that would listen.
    Agree.
    Too bad they didn't make a move for some level of football. If they had they would have already moved up conferences.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post

All of that was all weird in how many pushed for Amanda Braun as the AD. That does worry me about Mike Lovell at Marquette.

IWB, do you suppose that UWM had much of a chance in the conference shuffle? I do not know that the A-10 would have considered them. I do know they were in the running for the MVC, along with Loyola, UIC, and Missouri-KC. Maybe having an AD going to bat for them would have put them over the top, but the impression I got was that Loyola just blew everybody else away, and they had the advantage of replacing a private school. I just do not see UWM as being that attractive a candidate.

Playing at the Klotsche Center killed any chance at the MVC.

I agree on both spots, but in reality, they should have had somebody fighting for them saying you don't need a 4th team from Illinois instead of saying, "Ah, screw it, we won't get in anyway, why don't you start a few months down the road?

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123