+ Reply to Thread

Thread: Milwaukee Pro-Am' Drew Windler

Milwaukee Pro-Am' Drew Windler

I know Goose85 mentioned this to me, and for whatever reason, I didn't follow up until today, even though I checked in on him a few times during the season.

Congrats to two year Scion Dental Milwaukee Summer Pro-Am alum Drew Windler of Samford University on being named to the All SoCon third team....

SPARTANBURG, S.C. - Samford University basketball players Drew Windler, Tyler Hood and Raijon Kelly were all honored by the Southern Conference on Wednesday as the Bulldog standouts were rewarded for their outstanding play during the 2011-12 regular season.

Windler was named to the All-SoCon Third Team, while Hood and Kelly both received SoCon All-Freshman accolades. Hood and Kelly also garnered the same honors Tuesday when the league's coaches' ballot was released. Wednesday's vote was selected by the conference's Sports Media Association.

Drew Windler, the Bulldogs' 6-foot-9 center from South Milwaukee, Wis., leads Samford in scoring this season with an average of 14.2 points per game. He is also the Bulldogs' top shot-blocker and is pulling down 3.8 rebounds per contest.

In the final SoCon standings, Windler finished the season ranked second in 3-point field-goal percentage (43.6), fifth in 3-point field-goals made (2.0 pg.), eighth in scoring (14.2 ppg.), 10th in field-goal percentage (48.7) and 13th in free-throw percentage (75.4).

Windler is averaging 16.6 points and 3.9 rebounds per game in the Bulldogs' last 14 outings, and has started in 29 of the team's last 30 games dating all the way back to Samford's SoCon Tournament game versus Furman on March 4, 2011.

Last week, Windler dropped in a career-high 27 points at Western Carolina on Feb. 23, as he finished 8-of-15 from the field, 4-of-6 from 3-point range and 7-of-8 from the free-throw line.

Congrats Drew, hope to see you this summer!
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Great stuff from Drew. Really like the kid in the two years I've seen him in IWB's pro-am. Hope he is back this summer.

Now it looks like Drew will have a new head coach, former MU assistant and now Indiana assistant Bennie Seltzer. I would call and congratulate Bennie, but he wouldn't remember me. I swear, I talked to the guy often, and every time I saw him he would introduce himself to me. At one point I had told Crean and Tim Buckley about it, and they were there a week later when he did it again - they busted out laughing, and Bennie couldn't figure out why.

Anyway, good guy, great coach - congrats to Bennie!
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

+ Reply to Thread