Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Strotman lectures us all on journalism

Strotman lectures us all on journalism

http://painttouches.com/2014/03/28/s...-smart-fiasco/

Give. Me. A. Break.

This guy is awfully smug for someone barely out of college.
    Last edited by kneelb4zerg; 03-28-2014 at 09:40 AM.

Strotty liberally uses the word "Source(s) in his various blogs. Often, that does not ring true sounding more like his personal opinion. He does some good work, but........

Good writer when focused. Thinks he's the Shakespeare of sports writing, so should fit right in the tradition of the Dan Shaughnessy's and Mike Lupica's.
    #BringShakaHome

If he had one ounce of the info I had, he would have ran with it. So would have Goodman, Parrish, Hunt etc.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Jim, can you confirm that anyone from MU made the trip to Virginia? Bullseye Bros seemed to suggest it never happened in their tweets yesterday.

Tom Pipines was on the Madison radio station this morning and they asked him about the Smart situation. He said the sources he had are extremely reliable and he was told it was a "done deal". He said this stuff happens, but he didn't doubt his sources and still doesn't.

I know we did not have all of the identical sources, but I do believe that two of them may have been the same.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Strotman is a perfect example of the culture where sportswriters make it all about themselves, and inflect their opinion into the news (and do not put the work in to gather information).
    #BringShakaHome

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    If he had one ounce of the info I had, he would have ran with it. So would have Goodman, Parrish, Hunt etc.
    I believe you and your sources Jim. The only thing that made me nervous through the whole Shaka courtship was the lack of guys like Goodman and Parrish picking up on it an running with it. My theory is that they would like to be "first" to break such a story. They often jump on reports from guys like you and run with them like they were their own. The lack of any commentary from these guys looking back on it was telling in my opinion. I assume Goodman or Parrish probably could pick up the phone and talk to Shaka, which is a source I assume you don't have. I assume they probably did that, and were told something along the lines "I am exploring it but am not going to leave". Hence - the reason they didn't jump on your story, but were first to have all the details of Shaka turning down the offer.

On the flipside, and off the soapbox, Jim Owczarski from OnMilwaukee.com had a fair piece about this:

http://onmilwaukee.com/myOMC/authors...acoverage.html

From following him on Twitter, and reading his stuff on OMC, he's pretty good. Seems to put a lot of work in, too.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast