Thread: So let me get this straight...

So let me get this straight...

MU moved up the timeline of announcing a new President to today so they can have a presser to update absolutely nothing tomorrow?? Well played...what a mess!

So Marquette fans want school officials to make a commitment on a six year, perhaps $18,000,000 contract, for a new basketball coach, in a week or less. I'm anxious to get on with it too but this is serious cash. I'd rather not have a University of South Florida situation. Cords, Broeker, Doc Rivers and Dr. Lovell look like a good team to get something done. Frankly they might have more information than we have about what is possible and what is a pipe dream. Fans guessing and refreshing browsers every 30 second is a parlor game with no real money in the game. I'm playing the parlor game too and reminding myself how much I don't know.

I'm with Tulsa. None of us have a clue. Need to take a very deep breath and let this play out. We are bystanders in this flurry of events.

Do NOT hold a press conference to say nothing. Plenty of that in Washington. If you have a coach to announce, do it. Otherwise, keep working until you do.

So instead of holding a news conference you stand back and just let rumors fly without outlining the process and the timetable? In PR the first rule is get your story out there. There's a local feeding frenzy and frankly some unwarranted hysteria. Six years ago most of us didn't know Buzz Williams from Buzz Lightyear. I did have an advantage on that front because I had seen "Toy Story" about 486 times. Tell the truth how many had questions about that hire? Hey you in the den on the laptop. I asked you a question. Tell me the truth.