Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Buzz

Quote Originally Posted by AbovetheRim View Post
    I don't get why anybody is that pissed. Nice coach? Sure. Elite, take you to a title coach? I don't think so and I think that will play out. He's Jeff Van Gundy to me. Tough, gritty, try hard teams.
    I am pissed because I believed the comments he made. I thought his words told of his character and his beliefs. I realize now that he was a fraud.

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    I agree with that Nukem, but that was not what tulsa said. He has always defended and taken buzz's side - to an extreme in many cases. He had done so here. That is my opinion. I have taken the stuff he has said all along without comment, but to say he left for financial reasons? Really? Yes, I stay by my comments towards him. If you don't like it, I can live with that as well.
    Can't say I disagree with you. Two sides to a coin. More important is that MU moves on from here very quickly. Let's gobWarriors.

I hope the pro-Wisconsin and subtle anti-MU tone on the local airwaves and even in the local paper did not play a part in it, because I don't think that will stop anytime soon. If it is just because he could not personally have the AD he wanted, at least that will only be a problem exclusive to Buzz and not a future coach who may be more flexible in that regard.....as long as the AD lets the coach run his ship the way he sees fit.

A few things. It does not make sense that Buzz would leave for the money. If the figures reported are accurate, he was making $2.8 million at Marquette. He is reportedly making $17 million for five years at VT, or somewhat less per year. That is actually slightly less. It does not necessarily work out that way. Depending on how it is structured, how much he pays in taxes, and all the rest, he might actually be making more, but it seems about the same. When you are at that level, it is monopoly money anyway.

What is clear is that Buzz wanted out. When his name came up related to the USF job, that looked ridiculous. But there was a line in the Tampa Tribune article that was linked that said it was well known that he wanted to leave Marquette. If that was the word going around coaching circles, then it made sense for USF to take a shot at him. They stink, but they have plenty of George Steinbrenner's money. When Oklahoma came calling, Buzz famously said, "Don't mess with happy." At that time, he was coaching in the best conference in the country, with an administration that let him do pretty much whatever he wanted. Two years ago, most of us rolled our eyes when SMU went after him. It seems he came pretty close to going there. I do not claim to know the details, but clearly the relationship between Buzz and Larry Williams was just toxic.

Since then, he has found himself no longer in the best conference. The administration is up in the air. It seems to me that he could stick it out for a year, see how the conference settles down, and see if he likes his new bosses, but I am not Buzz.

Thanks for the time you put in. Good luck. See you later.

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    I am pissed because I believed the comments he made. I thought his words told of his character and his beliefs. I realize now that he was a fraud.
    This, this is why I am upset. he was a thin skinned fraud. #CharacterRevealed
    "I'll say it again...Dwyane Wade is the 3rd best SG of all-time...right behind Jordan and Bryant." - Mark Jackson

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123