Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Buzz

A chance for someone new to come in and put his stamp on the program. That's how I look at coaching changes at Marquette and I also love the new Big East.

Quote Originally Posted by brewcity77 View Post
    I can't see MU blocking him moving. Honestly, I'd rather they not block him if he truly doesn't want to be here.
    I suspect they will handle it like they did with Taylor. But your statement was incorrect.

Quote Originally Posted by MUFAN2003 View Post
    Kevin Oneill was interviewed by Dennis Krause recently. He said one of his dumbest moves was leaving MU for Tennessee. Oneill said if he did it over, would have stayed at MU. He said MU is a perennial Top 25-30 program in basketball (not this year)....that it is a "basketball" school. Virginia Tech???????????
    That stood out to me big time, when KO said that.

At least calipari is up front. Buzz just another snake oil salesman.

Quote Originally Posted by pbiflyer View Post
    At least calipari is up front. Buzz just another snake oil salesman.
    This. I did believe in buzz, even when all the crap he was involved with went on. MU stood by him - yes, Jim, you will cite Fr. P and Larry, but MU rid themselves of those two. If I had time, I would have the following shirt made for tomorrows games. "Buzz's bunch of bull sh!t". That is all it is, that is all it will ever be to me. Yes, I am writing "crap" to some, but at least I am not wearing kneepads when I write it!

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    So he went to Va Tech? Huh?
    I too find the move puzzling...but Buzz has not done well recruiting the north and eastern urban cities--AAU Nike dominated. Steve Taylor yes, but Reggie Smith was not ideal. Benford opened those Nike doors at The Fire but then it closed with his departure and Groce's arrival. East Coast? Two Philly recruits didn't end well. NYC shut down which had been a long MU hotbed. The Hurley-Taylor situation didn't help, IMO.

Yes, Chew was working on opening Chicago again, especially the Wolves. Losing a couple, one recently at the end to Calipari's Chicago Nike team as referenced above.

Fact is, Buzz had his success with his roots. JUCO's and AAU roots from the South. When MU clamped that down, he went local. Some good to very good talent but enough for top level success when losing out on the Elite? VTech won't restrict him and he can rely on his network more than here.

There is more in play here obviously as this head scratcher unfolds, but he was never able to fully exploit his Nike advantage for the high and elite talent with consistency. And I suspect MU restrictions hampered him, or at least weighed on him. It may not be THE reason, but Matthews may have been a straw. No Hill in the Nike Challenge?

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234