Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast

Thread: Get Shaka Smart

Quote Originally Posted by GOMU1104 View Post
    Smart isn't coming to MU. He's going to bide his time at VCU until there is an opening at one of the Elites.

Those that want Shaka...would you be OK with him being here 2-3 years and then bolting?
    It's possible Shaka has enough home-state ties that he would view Marquette as a long term option. If that's the case and he can convince MU he really wants this to be a destination, I say go for him. If not, I'd rather have Howland or someone they believe won't be looking to move soon.

The thing with Smart is that his wife is a businesswoman so she'll have a say. Not sure she wants to come to Wisconsin even though she went to school in Chicago. I think a big part of him signing the contract with VCU is that she wanted to stay out in Virginia.

I'm not sure who will emerge as it oftens seems like a candidate comes out of nowhere.

Quote Originally Posted by brewcity77 View Post
    It's possible Shaka has enough home-state ties that he would view Marquette as a long term option. If that's the case and he can convince MU he really wants this to be a destination, I say go for him. If not, I'd rather have Howland or someone they believe won't be looking to move soon.
    That would be awesome.

His rough childhood and the racism that he experienced growing up could also be a turnoff...

I don't think dealing with racism would keep him out of Wisconsin. It's hardly an issue that is unique to our state, and I would argue it's probably less prevalent here than it is in many other states.

He turned down UCLA and Illinois last year. I just don't see Shaka taking the MU Job. Then again, never thought Buzz would leave for less money to go to a bottom feeder.

Howland. Wardle. Marshall. The assistant from Syracuse. Chew.

Quote Originally Posted by brewcity77 View Post
    I don't think dealing with racism would keep him out of Wisconsin. It's hardly an issue that is unique to our state, and I would argue it's probably less prevalent here than it is in many other states.
    Milwaukee and the Greater Milwaukee area are some of the most segregated cities in America. Racism is definitely prevalent in this state and I'd argue more so than most of the country.

Quote Originally Posted by tower912 View Post
    The assistant from Syracuse.
    Why is his name even being mentioned? He's the head coach in waiting at Syracuse. When Boeheim retires (within 5 years), he'll be the next head coach.

Quote Originally Posted by QuetteHoops View Post
    Milwaukee and the Greater Milwaukee area are some of the most segregated cities in America. Racism is definitely prevalent in this state and I'd argue more so than most of the country.
    Doesn't seem to bother Larry Drew, or Rob Jeter...

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzWilliams4Pres View Post
    Doesn't seem to bother Larry Drew, or Rob Jeter...
    I never said it would be a hindrance to Shaka Smart coming here...

Page 4 of 5 FirstFirst ... 2345 LastLast