Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Derrick Wilson Hometown Article

Derrick Wilson Hometown Article

Nice article on Wilson, who came thru at Wisconsin when Junior was suspeneded.

http://www.adn.com/2012/03/30/239834...-to-dance.html

Good read. What bothers me is here is a kid who is in the program, knows what to expect, has to make an adjustment to D-1 and is working his tail off. Yet, most discount his ability to get better in the future simply because he is not a scorer today. Time and again, our staff works their magic to improve players but people still doubt. If he is confident he'll earn more PT and improve then we should all stand behind him.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reptile View Post
    Good read. What bothers me is here is a kid who is in the program, knows what to expect, has to make an adjustment to D-1 and is working his tail off. Yet, most discount his ability to get better in the future simply because he is not a scorer today. Time and again, our staff works their magic to improve players but people still doubt. If he is confident he'll earn more PT and improve then we should all stand behind him.
    Excellent point Reptile. I share in your frustrations about that. Junior has developed into a scorer - when needed. I can see the same transition for Derrick.

Jordan Taylor didn't score much in his 13 minutes per game as a frosh. Averaged 1.6 points, shot 26% from the field and 19% from the three line. Took big steps in year two and year three. Hopefully Derrick can also take big steps from year 1 to year 2.

I really think he and Juan will take huge steps from year 1 to year 2.

I think Vander takes a big step next year. Has all the tools. Is poised to be a premier scorer after he spends summer working on his shot. Has the call to Mike Novak been made?

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    I think Vander takes a big step next year. Has all the tools. Is poised to be a premier scorer after he spends summer working on his shot. Has the call to Mike Novak been made?
    He needs some kind of shot doctor voodoo. Unfortunately, I wonder if it's so ingrained into his muscle memory that it might not be correctable. His mechanics are really poor, likely the result of years of bad habits accumulating.

If they can somehow turn him into a decent shooter, his game will take off.

If he (Vander) can improve his shot and figure out how to finish more when driving the hoop - he will be in the League.

Quote Originally Posted by MUfan12 View Post
    He needs some kind of shot doctor voodoo. Unfortunately, I wonder if it's so ingrained into his muscle memory that it might not be correctable. His mechanics are really poor, likely the result of years of bad habits accumulating.

If they can somehow turn him into a decent shooter, his game will take off.
    He had decent mechanics and shot his Sophomore year in High School. It seemed to me that his shot changed when he was hurt his Junior year. I would believe it is correctable.

Folks, there is hope for Vander. Just look at what he's done at the FT line. He went from brick layer to almost automatic.

Quote Originally Posted by The Reptile View Post
    Thought I read somewhere from one of the people in the know that DW was instructed not to be a scorer this year.......I expect will be given the green light next year.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast