Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Vitale says USF after Buzz

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    You guys are right, it would be nice to hear him say those words again, but under the previous administration they would not give him a reason to. He went to Sweet 16, followed by a Sweet 16, followed by an Elite 8. During that time period they did not give him a raise, bonus or even offer an extension.

Now, if the new pres and AD come in and give Buzz the warm and fuzzies - I would expect him to make such a statement.
    I think that's fair for all parties. I believe that Buzz loves it here when treated fairly, but also has a long memory and remembers that the BOT hired Pilarz/LW in the first place. If God forbid another couple of unqualified leaders are hired, Buzz will look for greener pastures (the old fool me once shame on you, fool me twice shame on me). If the BOT gets it right this time, then Buzz will gladly re-commit his future to Marquette for the long term.

Quote Originally Posted by Jim Ganzer, "IWB" View Post
    You guys are right, it would be nice to hear him say those words again, but under the previous administration they would not give him a reason to. He went to Sweet 16, followed by a Sweet 16, followed by an Elite 8. During that time period they did not give him a raise, bonus or even offer an extension.

Now, if the new pres and AD come in and give Buzz the warm and fuzzies - I would expect him to make such a statement.
    It would be nice to know who those two people will be and when they'll be hired. Has there been a timetable discussed? Seems the BOT is moving quite slowly on this as I haven't heard about any interviews. If I had to bet, I'd say the new Pres and AD won't be walking through the MU door until the summer.

Worst-case scenario...What happens if Buzz leaves? Would we have to wait for the BOT to hire the new Pres, the new Pres to hire the AD, and then finally the AD to hire the new coach. That would likely leave us with an interim coach for a year, which would kill recruiting?

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysfryboy View Post
    Kate's more of a Red Lobster kinda gal.
    Ooohhh.. Thanks for the heads up....

Quote Originally Posted by DCwarrior View Post
    It would be nice to know who those two people will be and when they'll be hired. Has there been a timetable discussed? Seems the BOT is moving quite slowly on this as I haven't heard about any interviews. If I had to bet, I'd say the new Pres and AD won't be walking through the MU door until the summer.

Worst-case scenario...What happens if Buzz leaves? Would we have to wait for the BOT to hire the new Pres, the new Pres to hire the AD, and then finally the AD to hire the new coach. That would likely leave us with an interim coach for a year, which would kill recruiting?

According to MU's website, the President search looks to be entering the phase where finalists will be named soon. This is a very common timeline for such searches.

If Buzz leaves, Bill Cords would lead the search for a replacement ASAP. You can't have an interim basketball coach and everyone knows that. The reason you don't have to hire a President or Athletic Director immediately is because you have two competent individuals in place, and because their positions are more administrative in nature.

Quote Originally Posted by DCwarrior View Post

Was at a dinner in NYC that was attended by Father Wilde. He told us that the search is moving quickly. That they have narrowed down their final candidates. He also strongly intimated that the new President would not be a Jesuit. It almost sounded like we will have an announcement in the next month or so.

I really hope they don't have any requirement that the new pres should be a Jesuit and are fully keeping an open mind regarding options.

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityGoldenEagle View Post
    I really hope they don't have any requirement that the new pres should be a Jesuit and are fully keeping an open mind regarding options.

They wouldn't have floated a non-Jesuit as a possibility unless they were fully prepared to go down that road.

We will not have a Jesuit according to people I have spoken with from the Jesuit community.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    They wouldn't have floated a non-Jesuit as a possibility unless they were fully prepared to go down that road.
    oh, had no idea there were names being floated out there or a comment that they were open to non-jes. Thanks for clarifying.

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityGoldenEagle View Post
    oh, had no idea there were names being floated out there or a comment that they were open to non-jes. Thanks for clarifying.

Yeah...Wild has commented on this before but...

http://www.jsonline.com/news/educati...224727492.html

And Gato is more plugged in than I am, so my guess is that since MU is about to enter the "finalist" phase, none of them are Jesuit.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast