Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: ESPN wants to destroy Fox Sports One

ESPN wants to destroy Fox Sports One

Tonight's "30 for 30" special, Requiem for the Big East seems like a off handed slap at the current Big East, a league that is a prime air property of rival Fox Sports One. I don't know if it is possible for ESPN to do a journalistically honest look at what happened to the Big East. That would take some introspection and investigative work involving the role of ESPN executives and a look at the duplicity of college presidents at Pitt and Syracuse. That's not going to happen. Look for a whitewash of the changing face of college sports.

The choice of the programs title tells us what the ESPN corporate suits want us to think.

req·ui·em
    ˈrekwēəm,ˈrā-/Submit
    noun
    (esp. in the Roman Catholic Church) a Mass for the repose of the souls of the dead.

Jay Bilas openly lobbying for the ACC to take over New York City is another example. He's gone from a guy I use to respect to your typical network mouthpiece and it's become all about money.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/co...icle-1.1722523
    Last edited by TedBaxter; 03-16-2014 at 11:14 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBaxter View Post
    Jay Bilas openly lobbying for the ACC to take over New York City is another example. He's gone from a guy I use to respect to your typical network mouthpiece and it's become all about money.

http://www.nydailynews.com/sports/co...icle-1.1722523
    Jay was beating up Xavier this morning as a possible team in the NCAA's in lieu of NC State.

Jay Bilas is better than that. Or maybe not. Perhaps he's getting his direction from his bosses at ESPN.

I am now a Fox Sports 1 watcher.

Of course, the great thing about basketball this time of the year is teams get the chance to prove their worth on the court.

The Big East needs to do well in the post season in order to hush the critics, many of whom have agendas.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Miller View Post
    Jay Bilas is better than that. Or maybe not. Perhaps he's getting his direction from his bosses at ESPN.

I have lost all respect for the blowhard bilas. His holier than thou schtick got old. I refuse to listen to him anymore. I no longer watch ESPN. I have moved to Fox Sports 1 as well.

Quote Originally Posted by CaribouJim View Post
    Jay was beating up Xavier this morning as a possible team in the NCAA's in lieu of NC State.
    ...and on ESPN Radio this morning he declared the Big East "dead"..."just because the name remains doesn't mean that it is the same".

I did notice one of the promo ads for the documentary tonight was about the '85 FF - where 3 of the teams were from the Big East - Villanova, G- Town, and SJU - all 3 still in the BE. That was 5-6 years into the league's history - let's see how things go from here - not even a full year yet.

One thing I really hope for is that all BE teams really have an aggressive OOC schedule. Don't want to be hearing a year from now when tourney bids are being discussed that "that (BE) team didn't play anyone".

Ultimately, the league members have to prove it on court. Major league bummed that MU is not playing this year, but hoping the 3-4 teams that are kick some butt.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark Miller View Post

Well said. Caught some ESPN highlights of scores and when it was Big East time...."To the Big East, even though it's not what it once was." Would not be surprised if that was in the script and not just added by the individual doing the highlights.

The good news, based on all reports (including posters here) the Big East tournament was a smashing success. Great games culminated with a superb championship game. Bryce Cotton had a little Allen Iverson in his game last night against the SI cover boy.

FOX, Big East and MSG are not going anywhere. If ACC wants to dominate, they are going to have to earn it. 5 Top 25 recruiting classes for next year are teams from the Big East. Coach K, Boeheim, Roy Williams won't coach forever. What if Pitino leaves Louisville?

I am fine with the Big East being 1 of the 4 best conferences each year. Some years #1 or #2 and some years #3 or #4. I think that is how it will be, ACC only adds Louisville and look how mediocre the conference was this year outside their top 4. They have to deal with a lot of football first schools, whereas Big East is all about basketball!

Fox could always do a piece on how football and ESPN destroyed the greatest basketball conference.

Bilas also played and was an assistant coach at Duke. I have no doubt Coach K has had a big say in the ACC's ambitions to be the dominant conference. No problem with that, but do it promoting your conference and with play on the court....not attacking another conference....seriously, how childish does that look to spend so much energy trying to put down another conference if your own conference speaks for itself? Their actions speak louder than words.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast