Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Another example of Buzz's stubbornness

Quote Originally Posted by brewcity77 View Post
    Deonte had a hell of a game. That said, honestly, what did you expect him to do that the team as a whole didn't do in that stretch? We scored 12 points over 6 possessions spanning about 5 minutes.

What more would Burton have done? What we needed was defense. Sadly, his replacement didn't do the job.
    Yes, MU scored. Many times, though, we struggled getting into the offensive flow. It was Mayo or nothing. Derrick had to take a couple of end of shot clock shots. The offensive flow just was not there. Deonte opened up the lanes more. He was a beast last night, I expected if he played in the last 8 minutes, he would have continued to be a beast, not soft as Jamil played.

Guards were awful last night. They couldn't stop dribble penetration so MUs bigs overplayed. Leaving 1 on 2 at the hoop. X exploited it. While JW and Burton were the players that were scored on, blame the backcourt for the defense last night. No one could stick with their guy. Noticed how Buzz played small in the hopes of keeping X out of the lane? Didn't work.

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    Yes, MU scored. Many times, though, we struggled getting into the offensive flow. It was Mayo or nothing. Derrick had to take a couple of end of shot clock shots. The offensive flow just was not there. Deonte opened up the lanes more. He was a beast last night, I expected if he played in the last 8 minutes, he would have continued to be a beast, not soft as Jamil played.
    Derrick took one shot in that stretch and scored. Would those open lanes have resulted in more than 12 points on 6 possessions? I know Burton played well, but come on, assuming we'd be better than that is pretty much absurd. That's near flawless offensive execution. Even if it didn't look pretty (and lord knows it didn't), it doesn't get much better than that.

We didn't need more Burton in that stretch, we needed Jimmy Butler.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    A question that needs to be asked is: should Buzz continue to play the current defensive philosophy with all the help defense required and the need to identify what needs to be done? Underclassmen seem to have a very difficult time absorbing the defense. Adding 5 frosh next year won't help that situation either. Is Buzz trying to be too complex with his defense? Too many open threes or guys flashing out too late to cover the open shooter or getting caught up in ball screens. Good to protect the lane, but teams really do shoot the 3 more and more ( and, do it well ). This year's guard tandem of Derrick and Jake did not help either as quicker guards went right around them ( see Christon last night ).
    Maybe Buzz should study Boeheim's 2-3 zone given that he'll have essentially 10 (incl Taylor given his season post-surgery) underclassmen next year.

Derrick took one shot in that stretch and scored. Would those open lanes have resulted in more than 12 points on 6 possessions? I know Burton played well, but come on, assuming we'd be better than that is pretty much absurd. That's near flawless offensive execution. Even if it didn't look pretty (and lord knows it didn't), it doesn't get much better than that.

We didn't need more Burton in that stretch, we needed Jimmy Butler.
    After Deonte went out, Derrick took 3 shots. One was blocked, one was made and one he was fouled on. All towards the end of the clock.

Deonte's last three possessions offensively were two turnovers and a outside jump shot early in the clock.

Sultan that

Is unbelieveable that you would take the last three Burton possessions to make your case and conveniently leave out the whole game. Deonte was far and away the most efficient offensive player in the game and to cherrypick those possessions (and to conveniently overlook that one turnover happened after a Deonte steal) and act as if the rest of the game didn't happen is really poor.

Quote Originally Posted by WarriorOMalley82 View Post
    Is unbelieveable that you would take the last three Burton possessions to make your case and conveniently leave out the whole game. Deonte was far and away the most efficient offensive player in the game and to cherrypick those possessions (and to conveniently overlook that one turnover happened after a Deonte steal) and act as if the rest of the game didn't happen is really poor.

What case do you think I am making? In another thread I said he should have played toward the end instead of Jake Thomas. Regardless, it makes it obvious why he should have at least rested.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Deonte's last three possessions offensively were two turnovers and a outside jump shot early in the clock.
    yep. He needed a break. Not an 8 minute break, but he needed a break.

One of those turnovers was after he made a steal and was going to fast and had his pass deflected.

Deonte had a hell of a game. That said, honestly, what did you expect him to do that the team as a whole didn't do in that stretch? We scored 12 points over 6 possessions spanning about 5 minutes.

What more would Burton have done? What we needed was defense. Sadly, his replacement didn't do the job.
    MU lost the game - I would have liked my chances better with Deonte in there - the end result certainly couldn't have been worse if Deonte was in there.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast