Reading the various boards you have to believe that a percentage of fans think Buzz Williams has been on dumb pills this season. Can't some posters realize that stuff happens. There's X amount that a coach can control. Things like recruiting restrictions he has had to work around. His options over the past few years were to stay at Marquette or find a more supportive work environment.

Looking at consecutive Sweet 16 berths and an Elite 8 berth -- Marquette had the three most successful consecutive years since Al McGuire's tenure. Has anyone asked what Al would have done if he was in the same position Coach Williams faced with the administration changes? My bet is Al would have booked.

Buzz hasn't been taking dumb pills this season just trying to make things work under the rules he was given. (There was a lag time in the impact of the rules, the luck factor of injuries, illnesses and the Blue early exit.) Since the playing field has been changed again I'm optimistic about the program's future. There's no magic wand for the coming season but my guess is an improvement and a JUCO addition to ease some of the graduation of three front court players.

Is there a level playing field in terms of institutional support in D1 sports? No. The variation in support is not just monetary. Every school has to find a balance that works for the individual institution. It's not a science. It should be interesting to see the new balance after the interim school president and AD exit. My belief is it will be in Father Wild's vision.

The bottom line for me is the blame for a less than hoped for 2013-14 season should not fall entirely on Buzz's shoulders or even the players. A little more latitude in recruiting could have been all the difference. One player might have been the catalyst for a top ten ranked team. It's about leveling the playing field with the schools Marquette is competing against.