Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big East Attendance Analysis

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    ACC will NEVER go to MSG permanently. The southerners won't let that happen.
    I don't believe that at all. Hell, there's even talk of the B1G eyeing MSG for the conference tournament too. I don't know why any major conference wouldn't do all they could to hold the tournament there. It's the best place for it.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    When you are getting $4M per school annually, you do what TV asks of you.
    But you also have to guarantee $ to MSG that the schools have to cover. End of the day, you cannot alienate and disenfranchise your fan and alumni base. A half empty MSG isn't good for FS1 or the member schools.

I think expansion is inevitable for two business reasons: More fans like in this case to put butts in the seats. Two, more teams in the NCAA for credits.

I agree with the UCONN dream and also I agree it won't happen. I don't think that football will ever be profitable or successful in the long-term there. But, FS1 won't pony up more for Dayton, Richmond or SLU so the per school cash would go down. But they might for a UCONN, especially to jab at Bristol.

I also wonder how the school fit for ND works out for them long-term in the ACC? Football made that an easy decision for them, but it is still an odd fit and odd deal as it took them out of their traditional alumni base: Chicago, Ohio, NYC, DC. Sure, they have Cuse with upstate NY halo, Pitt and BC, but they lose Maryland too, to go with the existing Big East markets.

No question the ACC wants MSG as it is a big hole for them as we hear from Brey, Dixon and Boeheim. Let's hope for some craziness at the Garden this year.
    Last edited by BLT; 03-10-2014 at 10:25 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by BLT View Post
    But you also have to guarantee $ to MSG that the schools have to cover. End of the day, you cannot alienate and disenfranchise your fan and alumni base. A half empty MSG isn't good for FS1 or the member schools.

I think expansion is inevitable for two business reasons: More fans like in this case to put butts in the seats. Two, more teams in the NCAA for credits.

Yeah, I have been thinking since brew's comments over the weekend about how the A10 in many ways benefits from simply being bigger, that adding a couple of schools has some additional benefits that I hadn't thought about earlier. You bring up two good ones.

MSG is the MECCA of basketball. It is a HUGE part of the BIG EAST brand that separates the BIG EAST from the other conferences. It should be continued at any reasonable cost. No one else should be allowed in. As the brand builds, it may be the go to place again. St. John's and Lavin become the media sweethearts and Georgetown gets itself together along with us, we may be premier again. Hey, and DePaul, let's see them send more than four people there. They are becoming a drag on the conference and the conference tournament is Exhibit A. If DePaul has a halfway decent product, it would really help attendance.

Quote Originally Posted by MayorBeluga View Post
    We all knew the BET was going to take an attendance hit. Taking Cuse and UConn fans out of the picture does that automatically. Then, the three newbies, X, Butler and Creighton, are all in the midwest. Yes, CU fans are going to there in droves this year, but what about next year? Their team is built for this season, so how many will make the trek from Omaha in 2015? If we really want to keep the BET at MSG, we need Nova, G'town and mostly SJU fans to attend. BET crowds are the real reason Hizzoner would love UConn to give up the football drream and move back to the Big East (yes, it's not gonna happen).
    UConn is an interesting option for the Big East, even with football.

They have football, poor football, but football and want to keep it.
    At this point it does not look like they will be joining one of the Big 5 conferences (that is a key).

While it doesn't seem to matter in the conference shuffle, the AAC is not a great geographic fit for UConn going forward (2 Florida / 2 Texas / 1 Tenn / 1 Louisianna / 1 Ohio / 1 NC / 1 Penn, 1 Ok, 1 MD), and the football is not much better than the MAC.

Option to sell UConn on Big East.

Join the Big East for all things but football.
    Join the MAC as a football only participant, just as UMass does (in A-10 for other sports).
    MAC has 13 football playing schools, so UConn would give them two 7 team football divisions.

Positive for UConn
    More exposure on east coast should help with east coast recruiting.
    Less travel expense for all sports.
    Back to Big East.
    Make more money from Big East than currently do in AAC.

You're right Gato. DePaul getting its act together really is important for the success of the BE. I think the press is far too kind to DePaul here in Chicago, although they are basically ignored.

Youngsters on this board don't realize that for about 5-6 years from their '79 FF DePaul was America's team - sellout crowds at the Horizon (which when it opened it was considered a palace if you can believe that), seemingly the game of the week on TV before cable started to take over. How it has sunk to the levels it has is really depressing. Need to clean house big time.

DePaul and SJU are the 2 largest Catholic colleges in 2 of the 3 largest TV markets - SJU looks to be headed in the right direction and DePaul has 3 impressive frosh - maybe they can be the start of something.
    Last edited by CaribouJim; 03-10-2014 at 01:09 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    UConn is an interesting option for the Big East, even with football.

They have football, poor football, but football and want to keep it.
    At this point it does not look like they will be joining one of the Big 5 conferences (that is a key).

While it doesn't seem to matter in the conference shuffle, the AAC is not a great geographic fit for UConn going forward (2 Florida / 2 Texas / 1 Tenn / 1 Louisianna / 1 Ohio / 1 NC / 1 Penn, 1 Ok, 1 MD), and the football is not much better than the MAC.

Option to sell UConn on Big East.

Join the Big East for all things but football.
    Join the MAC as a football only participant, just as UMass does (in A-10 for other sports).
    MAC has 13 football playing schools, so UConn would give them two 7 team football divisions.

Positive for UConn
    More exposure on east coast should help with east coast recruiting.
    Less travel expense for all sports.
    Back to Big East.
    Make more money from Big East than currently do in AAC.

I have never seen a school voluntarily downgrade its football conference affiliation. I really think we need to realize that UConn, UC, ND...none of them are about to do so at anytime soon.

I would still like to add UCONN and Cincy. I know I am in the minority, but they add much more than St. Louis, Wichita State, Richmond, VCU, Dayton, etal. Get a commitment from them with some teeth to it. That would solidify the Big East at MSG, as well.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    I have never seen a school voluntarily downgrade its football conference affiliation. I really think we need to realize that UConn, UC, ND...none of them are about to do so at anytime soon.
    You are likely correct Sultan, and I agree the AAC is better in football, but overall Big East participation with football in the MAC would be a better financial allignment.

After Louisville and Rutgers leave, the AAC adds East Carolina, Navy, Tulsa and Tulane. A few good football schools here, but nothing that will move the network ratings needle. Really downgrading conference hoops perceptions too.

In order, Mountain West, AAC, MAC, CUSA, and Sun Belt are the outsiders. Is #2 of the rest that much better than #3?
    Not much from a financial standpoint.

UConn football, in either conference, will not be on TV much, but UConn basketball in the Big East could vastly increase their TV exposure.
    Last edited by Goose85; 03-10-2014 at 01:28 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    UConn football, in either conference, will not be on TV much, but UConn basketball in the Big East could vastly increase their TV exposure.
    Though, it seemed every time I turned on an ESPN channel, I seemed to find UConn or Cincy. Exposure probably would not be greater, but the $$$ would be much better for UConn BB.....

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast