Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Big East Attendance Analysis

I am actually picking the Johnnies to win it, and hope that helps the attendance for walk-up crowds.

You would think that the member schools have a handle on the BET ticket situation for some time, per guarantee allotments. I did see on FS1 there was a commercial to buy tickets though. I worry more about future years.

This is where having only ten team hurts, especially with the length and cost of NYC for a traveling fan. IMO, the schools have made a big mistake only focusing on the TV experience and not the in-game experience with the debut. The live fans were neglected from start times to in game replays to officials calling 54 fouls per game to social media. And then a lot of TV games were on FS2 or sold to CBS. SJU and DePaul need to be very good for a number of years.

When you are getting $4M per school annually, you do what TV asks of you.

We all knew the BET was going to take an attendance hit. Taking Cuse and UConn fans out of the picture does that automatically. Then, the three newbies, X, Butler and Creighton, are all in the midwest. Yes, CU fans are going to there in droves this year, but what about next year? Their team is built for this season, so how many will make the trek from Omaha in 2015? If we really want to keep the BET at MSG, we need Nova, G'town and mostly SJU fans to attend. BET crowds are the real reason Hizzoner would love UConn to give up the football drream and move back to the Big East (yes, it's not gonna happen).
    90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

I think it's inevitable that eventually the Big East will lose MSG at the very least part time to the ACC if not every year. If there are struggles right now to get enough tickets sold then it isn't going to get much easier in the coming years. I think the end result will be a rotating schedule between sites like Chicago, Indianapolis, DC, and New York maybe... That's just my two cents though.

Quote Originally Posted by BuzzWilliams4Pres View Post
    I think it's inevitable that eventually the Big East will lose MSG at the very least part time to the ACC if not every year. If there are struggles right now to get enough tickets sold then it isn't going to get much easier in the coming years. I think the end result will be a rotating schedule between sites like Chicago, Indianapolis, DC, and New York maybe... That's just my two cents though.

I agree with you. I have a feeling that keeping the BET at MSG is ultimately going to be a losing battle.

I saw a Mike Brey interview a few weeks ago where he was beating the "ACC tourney needs to be in MSG" drum. Thanks Mike.

Ultimately it's up to the BE team members to make it a non-issue. If the attendance is ugly this year, hopefully Val and her team along with the members put together a game plan to address it with maybe some added pressure on the east coast based teams.

Attendance only matters depending on the deal. If MSG has a guarantee, and the schools pay MSG the guarantee, who cares what the numbers are? MSG gets theirs no matter what. We need some time to continue building the brand. If St. John's makes the championship game this week, there are no issues. ACC will NEVER go to MSG permanently. The southerners won't let that happen.

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    Attendance only matters depending on the deal. If MSG has a guarantee, and the schools pay MSG the guarantee, who cares what the numbers are? MSG gets theirs no matter what. We need some time to continue building the brand. If St. John's makes the championship game this week, there are no issues. ACC will NEVER go to MSG permanently. The southerners won't let that happen.
    That may be the case and I agree that the BE needs some time to continue building the brand, but I think the that brand can take a hit if MSG is littered with empty seats on our first go around and I would feel better not giving the ACC any ammunition for down the road. Hopefully it is a moot point.

True Gato. But we don't know what the deal is. Does MSG have an out if the BE does not hit certain numbers? Does the guarantee cover lost revenue from concessions due to smaller numbers? Does MSG owe the BE something if they opt out? Sadly, this year's semifinals will not have the same NYC feel. It was an event in years past, with lots of people there to be seen. For example, the past 2-3 years Bill Clinton was there. OK, it was so he and Rick Pitino could go trolling later, but still. Also, you see other celebrities, both real and wanna-be. Doubtful it's the same.

The ACC to MSG stuff depends on one player: Carolina. Duke loves playing in NYC as they have a huge alumni and fan base there. You know the Judas wing would love it. BC would as well. The other ACC schools? I'm guessing most don't care. Would Carolina accept leaving the south? Probably, but only every third or forth year. If so, do we rotate? Well, we should have the BET at MSG every year if possible, but at least every other year. DC would be good for off years as Verizon Center is decent and located in a great spot.
    90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast