Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Derrick Wilson's Shooting

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    I was not assuming that the coaching staff was not working with Derrick. In fact, I firmly believed the opposite. Crean worked with DJ, as well. That staff chose to go to a shooting coach in the offseason to help DJ. That is what I suspect is under consideration for Derrick. With DJ, his form needed fixing. Derrick's form looks fine, maybe a little tweaking, but nothing major.

It may be psychological. It may be that he just does not have the depth perception to be a good shooter. Who knows. He is not good right now.
    MuMac Not pickin' on you or anyone in particular - just frustrated with too much lack of support for players and coaches. I'm sure everyone believes that Derrick has worked on shot. I also expect that coaches have looked at his form/skill videotapes ad nauseum, and looked hard for flaws. Did not know Crean brought in consultant for DJ, and appreciate learning that. I've focused on shooting basic jumper/FT motion. As some said above, jumper seems basically good form. That is why I believe the right coach that Derrick clicks with and gives him some confidence - the mental part - can help. Unlike some, I do believe that Derrick can be fixed. To use my PGA analogy, even the guys ranked 120-125 and in the development tour are great ball strikers - it is the mental aspect that separate the top money winners.

Below average mechanics and zero confidence equates to the shooting season he had. I don't see both or even one of those improving much by next season. Let's just hope the current Freshman improve enough and Buzz has enough confidence in them that Derrick doesn't have to play nearly the number of minutes he did this year.

Playmate of the month info worked for the catcher in major league 2. Maybe caribou can share his collection.
    "My contact didn't cite logic, he/she cited the NCAA rulebook." - IWB, 3/20/18

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysfryboy View Post
    Playmate of the month info worked for the catcher in major league 2. Maybe caribou can share his collection.
    Whatever it takes.

I always see Derrick shooting in two separate pieces, rather than 1 seamless motion. He seems to bring the ball up above his head fairly consistently, and then there is a separate inconsistent motion when he catapults the ball forward, almost like he has too much palm on it instead of finger tips. From my angle on the baseline, the last shot seemed to have the correct trajectory to go in, just off center.

One thing I've noticed is that when he is in front of everyone on a steal/breakaway, he always let's the defender try to catch up and go up off of two feet. Very frustrating to watch that seemingly basic play being transformed into a 50/50 shot.

All that being said, I would be very surprised if he's not getting 22-25 minutes a game next year. I think Dawson has some good potential, but as Jim always says, a play or two can change the outcome of the game, and with Derrick, you know what you are getting.

its a little hard for me to comment on FG shooting, but his FT's his arms are too bunched together, and brings both his arms too close to his head, and his left hand and arm are involved too much.

Quote Originally Posted by dw3dw3dw3 View Post
    One thing I've noticed is that when he is in front of everyone on a steal/breakaway, he always let's the defender try to catch up and go up off of two feet. Very frustrating to watch that seemingly basic play being transformed into a 50/50 shot.
    He's very deliberate and mechanical out there. Same when he passes to a teammate most times. Takes an extra second, or an extra dribble, which allows the defender enough time to recover.

Nothing wrong with that as a backup PG, but 30+ minutes of it puts a lot of pressure on the other guys.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12