Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Two Buzzer Beaters

I saw a Reece Gaines buzzer beater...that wasn't any fun.....

Quote Originally Posted by Markedman View Post
    I saw a Reece Gaines buzzer beater...that wasn't any fun.....
    Garcia in 2005 and Jerry Smith in 2007. Gaines wasn't a buzzer beater. MU did run a play with 5 seconds left. All the same, wasn't fun.

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    Garcia in 2005 and Jerry Smith in 2007. Gaines wasn't a buzzer beater. MU did run a play with 5 seconds left. All the same, wasn't fun.
    The Jerry Smith buzzer beater was a real stunner. The air just sucked right out of the BC.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    The Jerry Smith buzzer beater was a real stunner. The air just sucked right out of the BC.
    Yes it was. Worse than Gaines, as MU/Panther said above, MU still had a chance after Gaines shot. MU drew up a good play and had a good look at the end. Wade gets the ball at Midcourt, Diener to his right, Novak to his left. Diener gets a good look at a 3, but just misses. I wonder if that game were 3 weeks later, if Wade doesn't look to Novak. The Louisville D was leaning towards Diener and Novak may have had an even better look. He was a frosh and really just started to come on at that time. A few weeks later and Wade may have had the confidence to hit Novak.

Adding injury to insult, both Smith and Gaines were from Wisconsin.

For me, the sting of the Gaines shot was erased a couple of weeks later, when MU came back from 19 down and won at Freedom Hall.

That might have been my favorite regular season win ever.

Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12