Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Big East Attendance Analysis

Big East Attendance Analysis

Good article on Big East attendence from Georgetown Hoya.

http://www.thehoya.com/sports/attend...1#.Uxyqvo4o7bU

Only 2 teams, Creighton and MU, above 10,000 w/ G-Town dipping just below. Like DePaul, their students have a cruddy commute as well. Not sure what SetonHall's commute is.

Reason for most of the teams being below is 10,000 are the capacities, but not all - DePaul and Seton Hall the worst offenders, but G-Town is right there and PC would hit 10,000 if they were about 80% capacity like MU typically is.

How many games does SJU play on campus? Even when they do play in the Garden they seem to do crap although I don't have numbers in front of me.

Even when you factor that the Big East teams are primarily urban therefore an on campus facility can't be very large and if they don't they may have an ugly commute the overall #'s don't look great.

PS - was yesterday's crowd enough of bring us up to 15,000?

MU went up to 15,327 per game after yesterday.

PC had many great crowd. One snowstorm killing what would be better numbers.

Georgetown doesn't draw well. Numbers are always lifted when Syracuse comes in at 21,000 plus. They had no non-conference games that were big.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBaxter View Post
    MU went up to 15,327 per game after yesterday.
    Good. Not bad I guess considering the off year MU is having and the Wisconsin game was away.

Wish they can figure out a way to funnel student tickets to grade school or high school kids for free in instances like yesterday when MU kids were making their way to spring break to get some fannies in the seats.

Villanova played only 4 games off campus and they averaged 16,000 in those games.

Quote Originally Posted by TedBaxter View Post
    Villanova played only 4 games off campus and they averaged 16,000 in those games.
    There final two vs Marquette and Georgetown were with their students on break. Numbers could've been higher.

I admit I'm a little worried about BET attendance as well. Seems like it could be hard to keep MSG if the numbers aren't there. SJU as the home team will only mean so much if you potentially have the ACC with Syracuse, BC, and Pitt fairly close by coupled with large alumni bases from their state schools.

G'town has very little in the way of excuses for their poor attendance. Granted the students have a difficult time getting from campus to downtown as there's no Metro in the Georgetown area, but the school has shuttle buses for the students and the lack of students isn't their problem. The support the program receives from their alumni and law school alumni is the problem and it's really embarrassing. There are so many wealthy alumni living in the DC area, that the school should have no problem getting 15K of their fans to every game. Add in the number of alumni/fans from the schools they play that live in the DC area and you should get another 1K of their fans. The school does a poor job of promoting/advertising to the general public and they must also do a lousy job of advertising to their alumni.

Quote Originally Posted by DCwarrior View Post
    G'town has very little in the way of excuses for their poor attendance. Granted the students have a difficult time getting from campus to downtown as there's no Metro in the Georgetown area, but the school has shuttle buses for the students and the lack of students isn't their problem. The support the program receives from their alumni and law school alumni is the problem and it's really embarrassing. There are so many wealthy alumni living in the DC area, that the school should have no problem getting 15K of their fans to every game. Add in the number of alumni/fans from the schools they play that live in the DC area and you should get another 1K of their fans. The school does a poor job of promoting/advertising to the general public and they must also do a lousy job of advertising to their alumni.
    Yeh, I don't get it. It's not like they have to battle winter weather, with the exception of this winter at least.

Quote Originally Posted by brewcity77 View Post
    I admit I'm a little worried about BET attendance as well. Seems like it could be hard to keep MSG if the numbers aren't there. SJU as the home team will only mean so much if you potentially have the ACC with Syracuse, BC, and Pitt fairly close by coupled with large alumni bases from their state schools.
    I'm concerned too - don't want to get embarrassed - thank God for Creighton. I feel guilty that I am not going.

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast