Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Nit

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    I'm getting word it will be at the AL.
    I think the Al would be a great idea. In the past, the NIT has not drawn all that well when we hosted it. We have drawn better than the capacity of the Al, but often not by much. So there were a bunch of fans rolling around like marbles in a mostly empty Bradley Center. The Al would sell out, and it would be full of the people who have been watching games for years or decades. The bandwagon fans will stay home.

Since the NIT has been taken over by the NCAA, it has become less interesting in my opinion. Perhaps somewhat more fair to the smaller conferences, as they get more chances to get in now, but less fair in that the seeded teams get all the home games, which gives them a huge advantage. And the tournament no longer matches teams up to promote attractive games, so perhaps we do not draw as well. I do not know if that is going to be that much of a factor, as in the past, we have played Drake, St. Bonaventure, Western Michigan, and Boise State. none of which were likely to draw a lot of people, but it might be a factor.

High Point is the first NIT AQ after their Big South quarterfinal loss today. They are likely looking at a 7 or 8 seed in the NIT.

Quote Originally Posted by unclejohn View Post
    I think the Al would be a great idea. In the past, the NIT has not drawn all that well when we hosted it. We have drawn better than the capacity of the Al, but often not by much. So there were a bunch of fans rolling around like marbles in a mostly empty Bradley Center. The Al would sell out, and it would be full of the people who have been watching games for years or decades. The bandwagon fans will stay home.

Since the NIT has been taken over by the NCAA, it has become less interesting in my opinion. Perhaps somewhat more fair to the smaller conferences, as they get more chances to get in now, but less fair in that the seeded teams get all the home games, which gives them a huge advantage. And the tournament no longer matches teams up to promote attractive games, so perhaps we do not draw as well. I do not know if that is going to be that much of a factor, as in the past, we have played Drake, St. Bonaventure, Western Michigan, and Boise State. none of which were likely to draw a lot of people, but it might be a factor.
    I love the NIT in how it's set up now! I love how mid to lower conferences get a bid to the NIT for winning the regular season, but fail to get the auto bid to the ncaa tourney. I like in how it's seeded and you know the match-up and sites. I'm still bitter that Marquette had to go to Iowa State years ago.

It will not be at the Bradley Center. They have to put in the NCAA floor. It will be at the Al.
    Ah yes, that would be a big difference from 2004.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    Ah yes, that would be a big difference from 2004.
    Speaking of, the cookie cutter NCAA floors suck. Should have kept the actual home arena floors down like they used to.

Quote Originally Posted by MUBasketball View Post
    Speaking of, the cookie cutter NCAA floors suck. Should have kept the actual home arena floors down like they used to.
    I'm glad for the players safety, that got rid of the stickets on the floor. I do miss the home teams floor used. It's free recruiting!

I do not mind the custom made floors and skipping the slippery stickers. But did they have to make them so damn ugly? Blue on black lettering just does not work.

As for seeding in the NIT, the problem I have with it is that it guarantees home games to the high seeded teams. Granted, under the old system, they did it by availability and where they were likely to draw big crowds, so Ix4 never had to play a game on the road. But it gives a huge break to the home teams. The year we almost won it, we got to play the last game before New York at the Arena because South Florida had already played two games at home and we had won at Auburn. One of the organizers said that they tried to make every team win on the road to get to New York. It did not always work that way, but I think it made for a fairer tournament.

I'm glad for the players safety, that got rid of the stickets on the floor. I do miss the home teams floor used. It's free recruiting!
    and those damn signs on the baseline. How unsafe are those things?!?!?!?!
    "My contact didn't cite logic, he/she cited the NCAA rulebook." - IWB, 3/20/18

It will not be at the Bradley Center. They have to put in the NCAA floor. It will be at the Al.
    While I do think The AL would be the preferred route, it would not be because of the floor. They put the Bucks floor down within 45 minutes of the end of a Marquette game.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by ziggysfryboy View Post
    and those damn signs on the baseline. How unsafe are those things?!?!?!?!
    Since those probably are directed toward the tv crowd, couldn't they digitize those in like they do in baseball?
    "I'll say it again...Dwyane Wade is the 3rd best SG of all-time...right behind Jordan and Bryant." - Mark Jackson

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast