Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Big East vs. A-10

Big East vs. A-10

I see that St. Joe's Lunardi had 6 A-10 teams and 3 Big East teams in his latest bracket. I do not expect this to happen in the least, but it is a flat out ridiculous idea. I know there's the saying that teams earn bid, not conferences, but this fails the common sense test. The Big East is 3rd in the Pomeroy Rankings, while the A-10 is eighth. It is a little closer in the Really Poor Indicator (RPI) system, with the Big East 4th and the A-10 6th. However, simplest of all, the Big East went 8-2 against the A-10, with four of those eight wins over the projected A-10 teams in the field (and all four away on road or neutral courts).

Nova 2-0: 98-68 at St. Joe's, 73-52 over La Salle
    Creighton 1-1: 83-79 at St. Joe's, 60-53 loss to George Washington (neutral)
    Providence 2-1: 71-63 over La Salle (neutral), 50-49 at Rhode Island, 69-67 OT loss at UMass
    St John's 1-0: 104-58 over Fordham
    Marquette 1-0: 76-60 over George Washigton (neutral)
    Georgetown 1-0: 84-80 over VCU (neutral)

You probably noticed that Mack was throwing bombs at the A-10 tonight, said Georgetown would finish second in the A-10. He's right.

Joe Lunardi is employed by ESPN right? A common theme, ESPN.

So you think Joe is showing favoritism towards the A-10? For all its faults, the NCAA selection committee's formula is pretty transparent and Joe follows it pretty religiously. Isn't his batting average close to 1.000?

I don't think he is going to put his reputation on the line so he can project more of his home conference teams into the NCAA. Xavier had a chance to close the deal last night though. I bet BE gets in 3-4 teams.

This is one of the huge failings of the RPI system. In general, most top-50 RPI teams have a good shot at the tournament. Because the bottom of the A-10 is so weak (5 sub-100 teams) it allows the better teams to junk up on wins to improve their RPI. The A-10 has 6 teams in the RPI top-45 because of those wins. Those teams are all but locks because of their RPI. The Big East only has 3 such teams.

When you go to Pomeroy's rankings, I think you get a better picture. The A-10 has 4 top-50 teams in Pomeroy, whereas the Big East has 5. Our league is better. I don't think there's any real debate. But with only 10 teams, you are going to beat up on yourself a lot. If you don't knock it out in the non-con, teams are going to fall off the bubble simply because they are too close to separate.

Right now, Providence, St. John's, Georgetown, and Marquette are all on the outside looking in. Any of those teams would be fighting for the A-10 championship. This is the danger of having 10 teams with very little chaff. If getting the maximum number of bids is what's important, we should be targeting schools like Cleveland State, Richmond, Ohio...not necessarily those schools, but that caliber of competition. Get some easier wins to junk up on. Adding more high-level teams will only make it more difficult for this league to maximize their bid potential come March.

Also...I'm not saying I want those teams over St. Louis or Dayton or VCU, just that that type of team would be a better choice for more bids.

Quote Originally Posted by CaribouJim View Post
    So you think Joe is showing favoritism towards the A-10? For all its faults, the NCAA selection committee's formula is pretty transparent and Joe follows it pretty religiously. Isn't his batting average close to 1.000?

I don't think he is going to put his reputation on the line so he can project more of his home conference teams into the NCAA. Xavier had a chance to close the deal last night though. I bet BE gets in 3-4 teams.

Right. Which means it isn't ESPN favoritism either.

Quote Originally Posted by brewcity77 View Post
    This is one of the huge failings of the RPI system. In general, most top-50 RPI teams have a good shot at the tournament. Because the bottom of the A-10 is so weak (5 sub-100 teams) it allows the better teams to junk up on wins to improve their RPI. The A-10 has 6 teams in the RPI top-45 because of those wins. Those teams are all but locks because of their RPI. The Big East only has 3 such teams.

When you go to Pomeroy's rankings, I think you get a better picture. The A-10 has 4 top-50 teams in Pomeroy, whereas the Big East has 5. Our league is better. I don't think there's any real debate. But with only 10 teams, you are going to beat up on yourself a lot. If you don't knock it out in the non-con, teams are going to fall off the bubble simply because they are too close to separate.

Right now, Providence, St. John's, Georgetown, and Marquette are all on the outside looking in. Any of those teams would be fighting for the A-10 championship. This is the danger of having 10 teams with very little chaff. If getting the maximum number of bids is what's important, we should be targeting schools like Cleveland State, Richmond, Ohio...not necessarily those schools, but that caliber of competition. Get some easier wins to junk up on. Adding more high-level teams will only make it more difficult for this league to maximize their bid potential come March.

Also...I'm not saying I want those teams over St. Louis or Dayton or VCU, just that that type of team would be a better choice for more bids.

Interesting idea. Make your conference intentionally top heavy to get more bids.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    Interesting idea. Make your conference intentionally top heavy to get more bids.
    One thing Lunardi has been pounding lately is the notion that he dislikes seeing teams with losing conference records in the tourney. Well, the reason the A-10 is getting 6 at the moment is because they have 6 teams with high RPIs and good conference records. Same goes for the AAC. Their top teams seem really great, but are they? How much are they bolstered by terrible teams at the bottom?

Having a conference of all great basketball teams is cool in concept, but there is definitely some room for failings in practice. I mentioned this on Scoop a few times before the conference was finalized, that someone's got to lose. We don't really have much of that.

No, it's ignored. Not even in the room with the committee MT @SteveHartnett92: is conference RPI overlooked?

Quote Originally Posted by CaribouJim View Post

No. Joe Lunardi is good. Just getting tired of ESPN's schtick as it pertains to the Big East and was joking seeing Lunardi works for them. Heard it non-stop last season and thought it was over with the start of this season. Now they are doing a 30 for 30 on Selection Sunday, of all days, trying to say the Big East will never be the same when the majority of the teams that inititally made up the conference are still there. Syracuse and UCONN are losses, Louisville was never around until 2006 anyway.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast