Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234

Thread: Sick of the Griping

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    I posted this on the premium side and thought maybe it should be over here, too. I am referring to all the boards and naysayers:

I see the problem as follows: those kids played their guts out coming back and taking the lead. They messed up at the end. They deserve some respect for the way they played. Todd made some mistakes but had total stones. Jake MAY have screwed up on the jump ball situation but he hit clutch threes. Yet, he gets hammered. Derrick Wilson would probably be really happy if he could shoot better. Buzz would probably like it if the team executed better. Yet, a lot of yo-yo's are questioning Buzz. Calling it a defining moment. A wasted season etc. Yet, last night more than any other game this year, that group put it all out there.

I will always remember the bus pulling in front of the hotel in St. Louis after we lost to Tulsa in the NCAA in 2002. We fans were waiting for them to give them a pat on the back (hotel bar was right there). They refused to get off the bus. Never saw a more emotionally wrecked group. Some stayed on the bus for 30 minutes, heads down, refusing to look up. I assume it was the same last night. So when the critics show up on the internet, I think of that game and how much it killed that group of kids to lose and how they thought they let everyone down. The guys taking shots need to take a closer look as to how this affects the players and assess the importance to them versus their own comfort and desires.
    Well said Gato; I completely agree.

Quote Originally Posted by bleedbluegold03 View Post
    In any way are you ok with marquette being associated with second rate?
    I'm ok with it for a year. I don't think, it makes Marquette second rate. It's the same head coach in Buzz! It's not like the slide from O'Neil to Deane at MU. I don't view the NIT as second rate as a bad thing. When the last 8 to 10 at-large schools in the ncaa tourney could easy be NIT type teams.

Florida won back to back titles, then went to the NIT. UNC & Kentucky just won the title and the next season went to the NIT. Nobody views them as second rate.

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    I'm ok with it for a year. I don't think, it makes Marquette second rate. It's the same head coach in Buzz! It's not like the slide from O'Neil to Deane at MU. I don't view the NIT as second rate as a bad thing. When the last 8 to 10 at-large schools in the ncaa tourney could easy be NIT type teams.

Florida won back to back titles, then went to the NIT. UNC & Kentucky just won the title and the next season went to the NIT. Nobody views them as second rate.
    Agreed. It happens. We have been spoiled that it had not happened to MU for awhile. Almost every other program has been out of the tourney since MU was last out. If this is the worst year in Buzz' tenure as coach, I am fine with that.

Quote Originally Posted by 2013UnleashTheBeast View Post
    You said if Derrick steals the ball there we'd be singing a different tune. I beg to differ in more ways than one. 1.) he never should have gone for the steal in the first place 2.) Even if he gets it we are not exactly in a great position afterwards.

So what you should have said was "if Derrick doesn't go for the steal," not "if Derrick gets that steal."
    And to this I would also respond by asking what part of the OP was unclear?

The line between happiness and misery as a fan is razor thin. If Vander Blue's two contested lay ups against Davidson and St. Johns bounce off the rim, we finish 22-9 with no Big East title and on a 3 game losing streak. I can only imagine how off the charts these boards would have been had that happened. I am quite positve that the overwhelming response to Vander leaving would have been good riddance.

Conversely, if Todd hits that shot at the end last night, if Derrick reverse pivots and finds Jake Thomas for a wide open 3 against ASU and if we hang on against Butler, we would be 20-10 heading into are final home game, have 3rd place all but locked up and probably are feeling pretty good heading into the tournament.

That's 5 plays that could have completely changed the dynamic of how we viewed these two seasons. All 5 plays could have easily gone the other way. We lost a heart breaker last night. We have won are share of those and basked in our opponents misery. We weren't as good as everyone makes us out to be last year and we aren't as bad as everyone makes us out to be this year. The difference between being ranked 15th and 50th is very small these days.

Well said, Orlando.

Quote Originally Posted by brewcity77 View Post
    And to this I would also respond by asking what part of the OP was unclear?
    Then I guess I have no idea what this response means.

Quote Originally Posted by 2013UnleashTheBeast View Post
    Then I guess I have no idea what this response means.
    It means the thread title is "Sick of the griping", so maybe this isn't the best place to carry on the same arguments the OP is clearly sick of.

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    I will always remember the bus pulling in front of the hotel in St. Louis after we lost to Tulsa in the NCAA in 2002. We fans were waiting for them to give them a pat on the back (hotel bar was right there). They refused to get off the bus. Never saw a more emotionally wrecked group. Some stayed on the bus for 30 minutes, heads down, refusing to look up. I assume it was the same last night. So when the critics show up on the internet, I think of that game and how much it killed that group of kids to lose and how they thought they let everyone down. The guys taking shots need to take a closer look as to how this affects the players and assess the importance to them versus their own comfort and desires.
    Agree whoe heartedly. As I posted in another thread, I will never forget after the team, completely out of gas lost to FSU in the finals of the Orlando tourney. I was extra disappointed because I have lots of FSU grad friends who were going to give me crap.
    But watched Lazar walking off and destroying a folding chair with one stomp of his foot. Needless to say, he was far more frustrated than I was. We invest a few hours of our time and dollars. They invest far more.
    "I'll say it again...Dwyane Wade is the 3rd best SG of all-time...right behind Jordan and Bryant." - Mark Jackson

Page 4 of 4 FirstFirst ... 234