Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Sick of the Griping

Quote Originally Posted by bleedbluegold03 View Post
    Maybe for a team that hasn't gone 8 years without missing the NCAA. Or isn't expected to be in the conference title race more years than not.

I think you're bar is set waaay too low. NIT is second rate.
    Is the NIT second rate? Maybe. 2nd rate doesn't mean a bad thing.

I posted this on the premium side and thought maybe it should be over here, too. I am referring to all the boards and naysayers:

I see the problem as follows: those kids played their guts out coming back and taking the lead. They messed up at the end. They deserve some respect for the way they played. Todd made some mistakes but had total stones. Jake MAY have screwed up on the jump ball situation but he hit clutch threes. Yet, he gets hammered. Derrick Wilson would probably be really happy if he could shoot better. Buzz would probably like it if the team executed better. Yet, a lot of yo-yo's are questioning Buzz. Calling it a defining moment. A wasted season etc. Yet, last night more than any other game this year, that group put it all out there.

I will always remember the bus pulling in front of the hotel in St. Louis after we lost to Tulsa in the NCAA in 2002. We fans were waiting for them to give them a pat on the back (hotel bar was right there). They refused to get off the bus. Never saw a more emotionally wrecked group. Some stayed on the bus for 30 minutes, heads down, refusing to look up. I assume it was the same last night. So when the critics show up on the internet, I think of that game and how much it killed that group of kids to lose and how they thought they let everyone down. The guys taking shots need to take a closer look as to how this affects the players and assess the importance to them versus their own comfort and desires.

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    I don't know what you are quoting me here? I'm saying going to the NIT is a good thing.
    Because if we go to the NIT, I'd rather it be with a significant youth movement, rather than 5th year seniors, walk-ons, and a low-ceiling junior getting the lion's share of minutes. If you go NIT I'm okay with it, as long as it is a building block with a youth movement. We did not have that youth movement on the way to the NIT, therefore I belive it was a missed opportunity to build for the future.

Quote Originally Posted by 2013UnleashTheBeast View Post
    Derrick wasn't close to stealing that ball and shouldn't have gone for it to begin with. I think you meant to say "if Derrick lets Cotton catch it 30+ feet from the hoop with his back to the basket and his momentum taking him towards half court then defends him straight up to see where the chips fall, none of this madness might be going on." What's the upside if Derrick steals it there? He gets fouled immediately with 7 seconds left, misses 1 or 2 of the FTs, then they get a chance to tie/win it again?
    What part of the OP was unclear?

Quote Originally Posted by Gato78 View Post
    You clearly do not get it. The point is that the bar is set high. We are all disappointed--players more than anyone. We didn't meet our goals. OK. Jump off the ship, now and don't come back. Or, maybe you root like hell that we make a run in the BIG EAST Tournament. If not, then let's give 'em hell in the NIT. Just quit griping because it becomes a pain in the ass reading this stuff. Public message board, represent your University.
    "If MU goes to the NIT, can't say it's a bad year." was what I responded to.

I responded saying the bar is higher and the NIT is a bad year.

You agreed with me by saying "The point is that the bar is set high. We are all disappointed...We didn't meet our goals."

You then said I clearly do not get it.

What am I missing here?

I like using Pomeroy as it is a history book. This season, MU is the 56th highest ranked team overall, with a 29 Pomeroy weighted SOS (for opposing offenses and defenses rankings). In 2004, MU was at 93rd overall with a Pomeroy SOS of 108. In 2005, MU was 106 overall with a Pom SOS of 102. The world is not coming to an end.

If you had no skin in the game last night, it was a great game to watch...maybe one of the best in CBB for the year. But the ups and downs made it an emotional roller coaster and people vent in different ways. But Buzz has raised the bar and that is a good thing, except last night when the final circumstances didn't end our way. Hell of a game and effort by both teams.

Quote Originally Posted by MUBasketball View Post
    We're all disappointed with the season obviously, but it's important to remember that it happens. Look no further than Notre Dame, Indiana, and Illinois. All high seeds in the tournament a year ago, and now most/all will miss the tournament this year. I try to remember that to keep me from stabbing myself in the eye with a dull spoon!
    well exactly. and all of them would tell you those were disappointing seasons. my only point is the bar for a strong program is make the NCAA. Making the NIT is a failure by that measuring stick. I'm not losing sleep on this by any means, I'd gladly trade a season like last years for one like this.

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    Is the NIT second rate? Maybe. 2nd rate doesn't mean a bad thing.
    In any way are you ok with marquette being associated with second rate?

Quote Originally Posted by brewcity77 View Post
    What part of the OP was unclear?
    You said if Derrick steals the ball there we'd be singing a different tune. I beg to differ in more ways than one. 1.) he never should have gone for the steal in the first place 2.) Even if he gets it we are not exactly in a great position afterwards.

So what you should have said was "if Derrick doesn't go for the steal," not "if Derrick gets that steal."

If you are not losing sleep it over it then why are you obsessing about it on this board?

Nobody is happy about it........it has happened......fans can't do anything about it and the players and Buzz are more disappointed then you are......

the bar might be to make the NCAA but almost nobody accomplishes that every year....we have a streak of 8 going now...that is the 5th longest in the country......

As was said earlier the line is razor thin....we have played 5 ot games in conference........

Quote Originally Posted by bleedbluegold03 View Post
    well exactly. and all of them would tell you those were disappointing seasons. my only point is the bar for a strong program is make the NCAA. Making the NIT is a failure by that measuring stick. I'm not losing sleep on this by any means, I'd gladly trade a season like last years for one like this.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast