Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223

Thread: Providence Game Thread

There was lots of other dumb. Derrick's travel and his fifth foul. Todd fouling Fortune on two threes in the same exact spot. Todd letting Cotton get the easy steal. More ill-advised off-balance shots than you can shake a stick at. Passing up on wide open threes to drive into three defenders. I'm not saying we didn't make mistakes. But we had points taken off the board by no-calls at the Providence defensive end. In a one-point game, it all matters, and not calling Desrosiers' multiple fouls or the Harris push in the back on Jake before Cotton tied him up is just as significant as the dumb plays we made.

Quote Originally Posted by goldenlegal22 View Post
    I really tried to think of positives about DW throughout the year and after each bad game he came out and had a serviceable performance the next time out (a low T-A ratio, solid d, less bonehead plays). But after tonight's game I finally woke up and realized, those serviceable performances he had were mostly in part due to the other players on the team stepping up- Jake hit shots, Jamil gets a few to fall, etc. When those people don't score, his performance goes from serviceable to poor and in tonight's case, flat out awful. A true PG makes the players around him better, not the other way around. MU doesn't need a PG who can score (although it would be nice), it needs a PG who can elevate everyone's game and get the job done in crunch time whether that be a score, stop or smart pass. Derrick is simply not capable of doing that and the players around him are not good enough to mask his inefficiencies. Going to be breaking out the nightly and daily prayer for Dawson and Duane to be able to step in and do that next year while consistently playing solid D.
    Derrick is an outstanding young man and a great teammate and a great practice guy, but he has serious limitations. He really needs to come off the bench next year unless Duane and John can't do it. Juan as well. Senior leaders, but real questions as to being high levels players. We shall see.

Next year is a building year for the future...Going to have to let Dawson and/ or Duane play through some mistakes...they have upside.......Derrick needs to go back to the role that fits his skill set......

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    Derrick is an outstanding young man and a great teammate and a great practice guy, but he has serious limitations. He really needs to come off the bench next year unless Duane and John can't do it. Juan as well. Senior leaders, but real questions as to being high levels players. We shall see.

Agree with you nuk. To add to it though buzz has to learn to trust the young kids to develop throughout the season even if it means they take their lumps a bit early on. Unfortunately bc of the lack of experience from our young guys this year we're looking at Dw as really the only guy returning with consistent mins from the previous year.

What I am constantly reminded of when I look at him (and this might be my east coast upbringing so I'm not sure it will resonate with many people) is that Derrick is like Eric Snow from the late 90s, early 00s 76ers. The guy averages close to 7 assists a game with 2 TOs for his career with the 76ers and AI but when he goes to two others teams, he finishes his career with 3.9 to 1.2 and then 1.9 to .8. Part of that is probably due to his minutes going down (especially in his last 3 seasons) but I think the major part is that he was a role player at best UNLESS he had someone like AI who could do the work for him.

Basically, that's a long winded way of saying, Derrick can be a great defensive stopper and make occasional plays on offense, but he can't do it as a 30+ or maybe even 20+ minutes per game. From everything I've heard he seems like a true team guy and buys into Buzz's system 100%, but I think he would best serve this team next year as role player (like he was before) and a defensive mentor to the young guys.
    Everything negative -- pressure, challenges -- are all an opportunity for me to rise.

I think next year has the potential to be an exciting year, if Buzz isn't stubborn and doesn't stick with Dwill. Team may come out of the gate slow, but I think you just let the young guys play and improve, and the team will peak towards the end of the year. If Dwill starts, I predict about a 7-11 record in conference.

Why was Dawson given one assist last night? I counted at least 3 - one to Jamil in the lane for a jumper...another down low to Deonte...the last to Davante down low that they kept showing.

Was Hunt the scorekeeper? He looked his usual disheveled self yesterday.

Quote Originally Posted by CaribouJim View Post
    Why was Dawson given one assist last night? I counted at least 3 - one to Jamil in the lane for a jumper...another down low to Deonte...the last to Davante down low that they kept showing.

Was Hunt the scorekeeper? He looked his usual disheveled self yesterday.
    Didn't Dawson make the pass in both overtimes, that led to the turnaround jumpers that Jamil hit to start both ot's.

Quote Originally Posted by mufansince72 View Post
    Didn't Dawson make the pass in both overtimes, that led to the turnaround jumpers that Jamil hit to start both ot's.

According to the play by play, the first OT was considered unassisted. The second OT was Mayo. (which is what I recalled)

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    According to the play by play, the first OT was considered unassisted. The second OT was Mayo. (which is what I recalled)
    I don't think I was counting either of the TO's toward any of his assists, but it was a long night.

Page 23 of 23 FirstFirst ... 13212223