Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Well, here we go....

Well, here we go....

Four games in these next 10 days. Games which obviously will tell the tale of MU's regular conference season and what MU's post-season opportunities will be (excluding the BET ). The next two opponents are very much guard oriented. As such, performance MU's guard corps is very important. The ride begins.....to where...? Lets Go Warriors...!

Hopefully both the team and the fans bring a ton of energy to the BC tonight. It may be cold, but I really hope the BC is hot tonight!

Huge opportunity to switch spots with GTown and move into the tourney bubble discussion tonight. Can't wait for tip time!

Just realized that our last four games are against 4 of the original Big East teams or at least I thought they were. Didn't know 'Nova came a tad later and didn't know that Holy Cross turned down an invite - ouch. When you revisit the present day map, with the exception of Creighton, it looks pretty clean.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Big_East_Conference

In any event, have to win both home games and split the road games - beat 'Nova and a lot of pressure is off in making a deep BE tourney run. Actually Nukem2, all four teams we have left have studly backcourts.

MU is favored by 4 pts tonight.

Quote Originally Posted by CaribouJim View Post
    Just realized that our last four games are against 4 of the original Big East teams or at least I thought they were. Didn't know 'Nova came a tad later and didn't know that Holy Cross turned down an invite - ouch. When you revisit the present day map, with the exception of Creighton, it looks pretty clean.

In any event, have to win both home games and split the road games - beat 'Nova and a lot of pressure is off in making a deep BE tourney run. Actually Nukem2, all four teams we have left have studly backcourts.
    The Studly Backcourts - a great name for a terrible band. Hypthetically speaking, of course.

Quote Originally Posted by CaribouJim View Post

Just focusing on this weekend for starters. Though, G-Town and Nova do rely more heavily on perimeter play. SJU has a lot of frontcourt strength and PC is more inside oriented outside of Bryce Cotton.

Just as an interesting mental munchy...rank the four point guards we will be facing over the next four games and then include Derrick in the ranking. Then do the same for the off guards. I hate to say this, but we could easily lose all four games. I don't expect that to happen, but if it did, I would not be shocked.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Warrior View Post
    Just as an interesting mental munchy...rank the four point guards we will be facing over the next four games and then include Derrick in the ranking. Then do the same for the off guards. I hate to say this, but we could easily lose all four games. I don't expect that to happen, but if it did, I would not be shocked.
    Yep, its not an easy road ahead. G-Town is playing well since Trawick came back from his injury, Nova is tough at home, PC is chomping at the bit to beat MU at the Dunkin Donut and SJU could manhandle MU again. Need to play hard and smart for every possession.

Point Guards

1) Bryce Cotton, PROV The kid does everything. Points, assists, he even rebounds. Turns it over a little too much, but that's expected when you have it in your hands as much as he does. Deserves All-American consideration.
    2) Ryan Arciadiacono, NOVA I'd guess most would take Markel Starks, but not me, and it's not close. Archie takes great care of the ball, can score when needed, and is one of those guys you want to have the ball at the end of the game.
    3) Markel Starks, GT Starks is a fine player, but is more a shooting guard than a point. Turns it over too much and shoots too much, especially with his low FG%. I'd take him ahead of Derrick, but barely. Really was a tough decision.
    4) Derrick Wilson, MU Jordan may have more long-term upside, but Derrick is better now. Takes care of the ball, very good at providing for teammates (only Cotton averages more assists), and is learning how and when to get his shot. Probably the best defender of the group, though Starks is up there.
    5) Rysheed Jordan, SJU He has potential, but isn't on par with the others on this list yet. His usage is way too high for a guy as offensively inefficient as he is. Third highest usage on the Johnnies, but the least offensively efficient player they have (including Branch and Achiuwa). Turns it over too much as well.

Shooting Guards

1) D'Vauntes Smith-Rivera, GT This one isn't even close. Scores inside and out, gets to the line and converts, and unlike many SGs doesn't turn the ball over.
    2) Darrun Hilliard, NOVA He often seems like the forgotten man on Villanova, behind the gaudy point totals of Bell and Pinkston and the cult following of Archie, but this guy can score, rebound, and on the offensive end has vision that almost gives you a second point guard out there.
    3) Todd Mayo, MU Mayo is inconsistent and mixes "holy crap!" plays with "what the " plays on a nightly basis, but when he's on he can absolutely take over a game. If he were as good on the road as he is at home, he might be up there with DSR.
    4) Phil Greene, SJU Does a little bit of everything, but not a lot of anything. Strikes me as belonging in the "just a guy" category. Decent shot, but not at all a special player. Only hit double-digits 7 times all year, and only once in conference play.
    5) Josh Fortune, PROV Fortune does one thing really well: play a ton of minutes. I'm not really impressed by what he does with them, but he does play them. In Providence's last 2 games, Fortune averaged 44.5 minutes. He has actually been decent the past few games, but I'm just not impressed. Maybe it was his poor play at the BC, maybe it was the Providence fans behind me heckling him every time he came in, but I think he's just not much of a player.

And if you want an overall backcourt ranking...

1) Villanova
    2) Georgetown
    3) Providence (but barely...Cotton alone has them here)
    4) Marquette
    5) St. John's
    Last edited by Alan Bykowski, "brewcity77"; 02-27-2014 at 12:18 PM.

Greene and not Harrison...LOL

Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast