Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: The Battle for 3rd in Big East

The Battle for 3rd in Big East

An interesting week starting what should be a wild finish in the battle for 3rd in Big East and a NCAA bid.

Current Standings (teams with a shot at 3rd)
    Xavier (8-6)
    MU (8-6)
    Providence (8-7)
    St. John’s (8-7)
    Georgetown (7-8)

Games before the weekend
    Xavier (8-6) @ St. John's (8-7) on Tuesday
    GTown (7-8) @ MU (8-6) on Thursday.
    Providence (8-7) @ Seton Hall (5-9) on Friday.

If St. John’s and MU win at home, and Providence gets a win over SH on road, heading into the weekend the battle for third looks like this;

MU (9-6)
    ST. John’s (9-7)
    Providence (9-7)
    Xavier (8-7)
    Georgetown (7-9)

Remaining games (games against Big East top 7)
    None of the five battling for third play Butler and only St. John's plays DePaul

Xavier (8-6) – @ SJU / Creighton / @ Seton Hall / Villanova (3)
    MU (8-6) – Gtown / @ Vill / @ Prov / SJU (4)
    Providence (8-7) – @ Seton Hall / MU / @ Creighton (2)
    St. John’s (8-7) – Xavier / DePaul / @MU (2)
    GTown (7-8) - @ MU / Creighton / @ Vill (3)

With the round robin schedule, and a very good conference like the Big East, there is no easy finish to the season for any of the top seven teams.

PC will have a tough game at SHU.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    Not so tough, the game is at SHU. Now if they played it at PC, well then it would be a tough game!

Quote Originally Posted by MUMac View Post
    Not so tough, the game is at SHU. Now if they played it at PC, well then it would be a tough game!
    Yeah, there is that history this season for SHU. But, still think it will be a tough game for PC.

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    I'm not so sure about that. Seton Hall has actually been better on the road than at home, and both Willard and the team has talked about their home court disadvantage because attendance and fan support has been so poor. They are 2-5 in Big East play at home, but 3-3 on the road, and two of those three road losses were by a combined 2 points at Marquette and Creighton. Only one of their home losses was a single-possession game.

Right now third place and sixth place in the league have the same number of wins, and seventh place is just one win less.
    A lot of equally average / NCAA bubble level teams should make for some very interesting games almost nightly the rest of the way.

For as bad as MU has looked at times this season, a win on Thursday night at home could very well put us in 3rd place by ourselves. Does that move us into the next four out category going into the weekend?

No. Not a single impressive non-conference win. Close don't count.

just going off of the remaining schedules I'll say SJU runs the table and finishes 11-7 and in 3rd place.

Quote Originally Posted by WindyCityGoldenEagle View Post
    just going off of the remaining schedules I'll say SJU runs the table and finishes 11-7 and in 3rd place.
    I too think SJU is likely to grab 3rd place. I think Georgetown could very easily go 0-3 and be in 7th place with a 7-11 record.

Quote Originally Posted by Phantom Warrior View Post
    No. Not a single impressive non-conference win. Close don't count.
    GW was an 'impressive' NC win.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast