Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast

Thread: MU Scoop

Thanks for joining and welcome aboard! (Also thanks for the subscription comment Sultan).

Yes, I will moderate if the need arises. In the 3 years since I started this site I have never had to ban a user and I think I have deleted three posts. Sure, discussions get heated from time to time, but I think the posters here are all pretty level headed, get the overall goal of the program and understand that we follow a team of college kids that are busting their tails every time they step onto the court.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

Quote Originally Posted by mu_hilltopper View Post
    hmmm .. Filing this under, no publicity is bad publicity ...
    Badger troll!

And as this goes on, a BrewCityBall thread goes on over on Scoop. Or at least one did for about 10 posts...then it went off-topic and devolved into a Dawson/Derrick thread with the same players banging the same drums. That place is nothing if not predictable. hilltopper, I love you as a poster, but I really wish you guys would moderate your site. Even if the racism, bashing of MU players and recruits, religious intolerance, and other things that have been complained about ad nauseum go unaddressed, at least keep threads on topic. If that means splitting threads, whatever. Moderating isn't just keeping the locals in order, it's keeping the site intelligible.

Brew .. we've chosen to run a forum that .. uses a light touch for moderation. That irks some people, like yourself, and that's understandable.

As for keeping threads on topic .. sure, we'd love to do that, but often a thread will turn into spaghetti, with message 12,14,19,24,30 off topic and needing to be split off. No way any of us mods can spend the time trimming threads to keep it tidy .. IWB may be able to do that here, but at Scoop with 300-1000 new posts a day, you'd need a full time staffer to take care of that.

After 8 years now .. it is what it is. It's imperfect, and isn't going to be everyone's favorite. The community is fortunate to have two other forums people can find more suited to their desires.

Brew .. we've chosen to run a forum that .. uses a light touch for moderation. That irks some people, like yourself, and that's understandable.

As for keeping threads on topic .. sure, we'd love to do that, but often a thread will turn into spaghetti, with message 12,14,19,24,30 off topic and needing to be split off. No way any of us mods can spend the time trimming threads to keep it tidy .. IWB may be able to do that here, but at Scoop with 300-1000 new posts a day, you'd need a full time staffer to take care of that.

After 8 years now .. it is what it is. It's imperfect, and isn't going to be everyone's favorite. The community is fortunate to have two other forums people can find more suited to their desires.
    It is what it is because of your negligence/recklessness.

Quote Originally Posted by kneelb4zerg View Post
    It is what it is because of your negligence/recklessness.

I think that is a completely unfair statement. He reasonably came here and stated his philosophy about how they run the forum. You may not agree with it, but it is hardly negligent or reckless.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    I think that is a completely unfair statement. He reasonably came here and stated his philosophy about how they run the forum. You may not agree with it, but it is hardly negligent or reckless.
    Maybe the wrong terminology but...it is what it is? Seriously? That's lame. They are the moderators, he's trying to wash his hands of something he has control over.

Quote Originally Posted by kneelb4zerg View Post
    Maybe the wrong terminology but...it is what it is? Seriously? That's lame. They are the moderators, he's trying to wash his hands of something he has control over.

They have control over it. They are simply exercising their right to not exert it and let things flow. There is no universal and accepted manner to moderate a forum.

Quote Originally Posted by TheSultan View Post
    They have control over it. They are simply exercising their right to not exert it and let things flow. There is no universal and accepted manner to moderate a forum.
    Yeah I know they have control over it. It is what it is bc they allow it to be so.

Light touch of moderation is one thing. Religious bigotry on a daily basis is another. I sure hope MU isn't recruiting any Muslim kids whose families decide to look at your site. As far as keeping things on topic, you allowed it to become that way. If you split the threads that need it and enforce people stay on topic, people don't get off topic. And you can do it with 300-1000 posts per day. I've seen done it on a site with at least five times your traffic and none of the mods were paid staffers.

It is what it is, maybe the crazies in the MU community (of which there are quite a few, myself at times included) need a place like Scoop where it's the wild west and no one cares what anyone else does. And while I disagree that it's all negligence and recklessness, I do feel that allowing the posting racist pics and anti-Muslim pics is negligent because whether you like it or not, MUScoop is a direct reflection on Marquette as an institution and the Marquette community. For some people first looking at Marquette for the first time, that website may be what they see.

We all see through different glasses, I guess. But how you allow some of that...I just don't get it.

Page 3 of 6 FirstFirst 12345 ... LastLast