Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: New Four Team Event

New Four Team Event

Man is this a cool idea. Michigan State's AD is really creative. I'd guess TV money for these teams is not too shabby either.

Mich St., Texas, UNC, and Florida will play each other in three different locations - NY, Chicago, LA, and actually travel on the same plane and participate in activites together in each of the three cities over the period of eight days.

Now that is stepping up non conference.

http://espn.go.com/mens-college-bask...w-4-team-event

That is actually really cool.

I think this is stupid! The problem with college basketball is paying home fans/season-tickets holders are lacking any good non-conference games to see. We need H/H in the non-conference in basketball!

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    I think this is stupid! The problem with college basketball is paying home fans/season-tickets holders are lacking any good non-conference games to see. We need H/H in the non-conference in basketball!
    Absolutely, whole-heartedly agree. Hizzoner hates the way college basketball has followed football by going away from non-conference home and homes, replacing them with neutral site games. We all understand tv runs the show, but it's at the expense of the fans actually, you know, paying for the tickets.
    90% of quotes on the internet are wrong.
    - Abraham Lincoln

Quote Originally Posted by MU/Panther View Post
    I agree. Need more home-and-home NC games as the NC "season" is becoming an extended TV event. As it is, many schools are seeing declining attendance. The made-for-TV events are going to continue to favor the elite teams, leaving others to scramble for really good games. Of course, academics are really considered in scheduling these events....

Quote Originally Posted by Nukem2 View Post
    I agree. Need more home-and-home NC games as the NC "season" is becoming an extended TV event. As it is, many schools are seeing declining attendance. The made-for-TV events are going to continue to favor the elite teams, leaving others to scramble for really good games. Of course, academics are really considered in scheduling these events....
    Games are not while school is in session, so academics were considered.

While I agree on the home and home debate, and I'd like to see more of that as opposed to neutral site games, this is a one year deal like a tournament, and not an annual matchup.

This event would take the place of participating in a Maui Clasic or Wooden Legacy that we played in this year. I think that is why they are all scheduling one more game so this qualifies as a "multiteam" event.

Question for those who don't like it;
    Why do you prefer a Wooden Legacy tournament type event over this set up?
    or
    Are you against any tournaments and would rather just schedule home and home games?

I would prefer this over a tournament set up. Play in NY, Chicago, LA - not bad exposure, and split the money four ways. Nice Deal.
    Last edited by Goose85; 02-13-2014 at 01:02 PM.

Personally I would prefer the tournament set up. Why? There are a lot of MU fans that travel to Maui, Virgin Islands, Anchorage etc and spend 4 days with the Marquette Basketball team while also enjoying a little vacation.

How many MU fans would travel from LA to Chicago to New York over that same 4-5 day span? Only a very select few.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

I would take a tourney that is in one city with 3 games in 4 days.

NY to Chicago to LA is a joke! This is not the NBA and the travel is a nightmare.

I think they are eliminating the travel nightmare by chartering a large plane with all four teams traveling together, but yes, it would eliminate the fans.
    "When March Madness spills into April.... that's the gravy!" - Homer Simpson

It is clearly a made for TV event. I do not think it is any dumber than playing on an aircraft carrier. It does mean that the big school teams are becoming more and more like pros. This is more about entertainment than competition. It is a pretty good TV event, but things like this are going to leave the have-nots even further behind.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast