Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: This game highlights

This game highlights

This game highlights what I believe and have been saying for last 10 or so games, the team is better offensively with Davante on the bench. I know most will disagree, but I believe spacing and attitude is much better without him there. Once again Otule has two or three possessions where he just seals an entire side of the lane and allows a drive. Whenever someone drives with Davante on the court he allows his man to slip by and defend because Davante is looking for the dump pass so he can score himself. Otule also allows much better offensive rebounding to occur because he is fighting for position and usually allows someone else to dive hard to the rim. As far as defense it isn't even a question as Davante has given up even trying to work. I believe going back to a 20-20 minute split will allow Davante to go harder in a shorter period of time and make the whole team better. I think his bad body language does hurt the freshman they should not see a supposed senior team leader pout and flail his arms like he does, a bad example for the whole team. I think it is no coincidence that the whole run back in this game occurred with him on the bench.

Great post. I agree with much of what you say. Buzz noted how important Otule was to the 2 H run.

I've certainly noticed the often mopey attitude of Gardner as many of us have. However, I never thought that Davante should get less minutes, especially given the offensive struggles that we go through so regularly. However tonight obviously showed that we can look good offensively without him, but how often can we depend on a Todd Mayo explosion like we saw tonight? Can others pick up the offensive slack with less Gardner and a poor Mayo performance?

It's an interesting angle (playing ox less) and I support it from an attitude/impression standpoint, but I'm conflicted bc I'm not sure I buy into us being a better offensive team with him on the bench.

Not to mention that when Davante isn't getting the ball, he will sooner go to the top of the key than fight for position. His three just before halftime was awful.

He also doesn't draw fouls like he used to, largely because the refs don't give him the benefit of the flop.

Interesting point O'Malley. Sealing the lane is one skill so many don't appreciate. Otule changed the game from a defensive standpoint altering shots and stopping the move to the hoop which allowed a few steals.

I like Davante, but I too think he is more effective with less minutes. He tends to conserve too much energy at times on the defensive end.

I'm sort of with WindyCity on this one. Theoretically agree with playing Otule more as he really does help spacing, but also wonder where the points will come from if Davante sits. Against higher octane offenses, it would be hard to sit Ox.
    Last edited by MU Viking; 02-05-2014 at 11:17 AM.

Quote Originally Posted by Goose85 View Post
    Interesting point O'Malley. Sealing the lane is one skill so many don't appreciate. Otule changed the game from a defensive standpoint altering shots and stopping the move to the hoop which allowed a few steals.
    I commented to my buddy tonight that I wish someone tracked shots altered because CO was killing it in that regard. His presence down low made a big difference.

I cringed last night every time we pressed and DG was in the game. He is our last line of defense on the press???? OMG!

I don't know if Davante is frustrated or if he is simply moving on from MU a few months early, but he seems like he is playing for himself out there. He is taking some wild shots, fadeaway baseline 15 footers, unwarranted 3's and the like. Seems like he just wants his point and that is it.

Quote Originally Posted by IrwinFletcher View Post
    I don't know if Davante is frustrated or if he is simply moving on from MU a few months early, but he seems like he is playing for himself out there. He is taking some wild shots, fadeaway baseline 15 footers, unwarranted 3's and the like. Seems like he just wants his point and that is it.
    Totally agree. He's been driving me nuts all year long.

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast